Torque converters

06ramcummins

Gentlemen,
I currently run an ats tranny and torque converter. My five star converter just took a crap on my and i am now wondering if i should stay with the five star or go to their new triplelok. Im staying with ats because of warranty but if they are willing to trade me for a triplelok i would maybe like to go that route. What would be the difference between the heavy fivestar or the newer triplelok? will there be the slightest difference in acceleration or anything performance wise by switching to a lighter converter? fyi this truck makes 750hp.

You make 750 with 90 hp tips??

Wow!

btw... the answer is NO to your question

New triplelock? I thought ATS got out of the triple disk because of patent ordeals. Patent expire so they went back?

You make 750 with 90 hp tips??

Wow!

btw... the answer is NO to your question

Yes 750hp. smarty on tnt sw3 with a pressure tune from dr p. cant go any higher on the smarty cause the hp begins to drop. trying to figure that promblem out.:bang

Have you made a pass at the track yet? That may tell the story a bit better on the hp.

Just never heard anyone making 750 with 90's..

Get you weight with you in it and then go make a few passes and get the trap speeds..

I'm curious..

My ATS 5 Star sounds like a can of marbles untill I put the truck in gear....screw em...Phil Taylor will be where my next one comes from.

last time i hit the strip i ran a 12.4. that was just the smarty on level 7 no pressure. Haven't ran down the strip with smarty on sw 3 adjusted and pressure on that gave me my 750hp. My truck weights 7100 and when i was making those passes i had a full tank of fuel, extra tank and tool box with tools, and i weigh 230. Im impressed with my setup and i really love driving my truck. loaded or unloaded.

My ATS 5 Star sounds like a can of marbles untill I put the truck in gear....screw em...Phil Taylor will be where my next one comes from.

I was wondering what that dang noise was. Never thought it was the converter and i've tried several of their converters.

A 12.4 @ 7100 lbs is about 600 at the wheels.
For 750 to only run a 12.4 you'be weighing in at about 8700 lbs race weight.
If all your added stuff took you op to 7600 lbs you'be about 650 to run a 12.4

I'm not saying anything bad...I'm sure it's a blast to drive but I seriously doubt it's a true 750 hp.

What was the mph? That's an even better number to figure HP off of.

Last edited:
the 12.4 was at 620ish hp. thats what the truck baseline when i took the truck to be tuned by dr. p . With the smarty and custom tune from dr. p wastegate adjustment, I have not been to the track since i had the programming dialed in on the dyno along with a cam install, valve springs, rebuilt motor (190k) stage 3 pump from a stage 2 before i took it to dr. p. The 750hp run i just barely had 1000 miles on the motor. I don't know what the truck will do now on the 1/4. im curious though

Last edited:
I don't remember my mph but i was on the top 50 list. I just looked at that list and noticed im not on there anymore. there are some pretty fast times on there now. if anyone has a copy of the first list my mph is on there.

eitherway the dr performance dyno and the speedtek dyno verified my hp so thats good enough for me. it is now my mission to get to the track asap so i can see what this black beauty does when that light turns green. :ft:

UNBROKEN I have a question...I installed a tranny and triple disk two weeks ago and am getting noise from the converter. Like you said it sounds like marbles or a mild grind, but I can only get it to happen in park. When I take it out of park it immediately stops...It has been the most confusing/annoying sound. Has your converter been holding up? Is anyone else getting noises from their triple disk in park?

Thanks any and everyone

i get the same noise comeandtakeit with the same results. i think it is just the nature of the beast. I have the ats fivestar though

Ats doesn't stand behind there ****. I have had multiple issues with them. In our shop ats stands for Alter There ****!

Sure got a pretty wife :)

Thank you! just had to get that in didn't you?

by no means am i cheerleading, but ATS has done me right every time with warranty. Ive had no experience with other performance transmissions but i think this tranny has held up to the abuse it has seen.

My ATS has been beat on alot. I have had no problems with the transsmissions, as far as converters I did have 1 with a problem and they send me a new one. I have had 5 coverters since the install only 1 problem the rest were just replaced after they got way to loose. All of these cost me $0.00.