Torque wrench calibrations

lowdiesel

I am about to put motor back togethersoon and need an accurate torque wrench. I have two craftsman pieces (3/8) and (1/2) manual torque wrenches. I know these are not real accurate pieces but I don't use enough to warrant spending 500+ bucks on quality ones. Can I calibrate these or am I peeing in the wind......

I always heard that most torque wrenches are "off".. Dependant on age usage etc.. I also heard that you should use the same torque wrench for the whole assembly... Head, main caps, rods, etc and even though its off a bit that it will be fine because all the bolts have equal torque...
It hasn't failed me yet and I am using a 10 year old snap on....

You can have a new 1/2" drive Snap-On wrench for around $300

I have a friend that works at an aircraft engine rebuild company doing tool calibration. He says the best of all the wrenches are the cheaper craftsmans. They calibrate all the wrenches in the place monthly and he says the craftsman wrenches seem to vary the least.

I recireved a 1/2 in torque wrench that is at least 10 years old. It does happen to be a craftsman. When I got it it was set on like 30lbs for god knows how long. After I used it for a couple years I loaned it to a friend for a couple weeks and got it back set on about 50lbs. Long story short I had it calibrated and it was only about 2lbs light all the way across the scale. I dont worry as much anymore.

What to do then,,,,,,I work for a defense contractor and we use some craftsman as well.....does anyone have some wrenches I can borrow? I'll give cash deposit....

read that thread that was quoted... it's got all you need to know in it

I recireved a 1/2 in torque wrench that is at least 10 years old. It does happen to be a craftsman. When I got it it was set on like 30lbs for god knows how long. After I used it for a couple years I loaned it to a friend for a couple weeks and got it back set on about 50lbs. Long story short I had it calibrated and it was only about 2lbs light all the way across the scale. I dont worry as much anymore.

If its a 30-150 ft-lbs wrench, storing it at 30 is the right way to do it.

Good info in that thread. So is cdi building the snap-on techwrench & techangle torque wrenches?

Just because a said company makes them does not mean they are the same. I had 3 Computorq wrenches fail in less than a year. The Snap on TECH3FR250 I replaced that junk with has been flawless for for over 5 yrs now.

That's most likely the reason Snap on bought the company, to ensure their wrenches are the superior ones coming out of that place.

Also the Snap on digital's vibrate when you reach the desired torque settings and the CDI's do not. That alone is worth an extra $200 bucks in the real world where hearing those anemic beeps is nearly impossible.

Last edited:
Also the Snap on digital's vibrate when you reach the desired torque settings and the CDI's do not. That alone is worth an extra $200 bucks in the real world where hearing those anemic beeps is nearly impossible.

No kidding, in the shop I NEVER hear mine beep.

FWIW, I don't like the electric torque wrenches... they never lose calibration, but I just don't like the way they apply torque. they rely on you to release vs. breaking over when correct torque is achieved.

You are supposed to pull steady to the torque value. The snap-on's vibration is superior to a beep though!!!!!

What to do then,,,,,,I work for a defense contractor and we use some craftsman as well.....does anyone have some wrenches I can borrow? I'll give cash deposit....

I have 3/8 & 1/2 snap on digital wrenches.
Where are you located.

I thought you were suppose to store your tq wrench with no spring tension?

Don't need no stinkin' torque wrench, just tighten 'til you twist it off, then back it off a little! On a serious note, I always back my Proto's off fully when not in use.

I thought you were suppose to store your tq wrench with no spring tension?

Snap-On factory training suggests storing at 20% of max scale.

The TQR type wrenches can be stored at any torque setting. They hold their calibration very well!!!

FWIW, I don't like the electric torque wrenches... they never lose calibration, but I just don't like the way they apply torque. they rely on you to release vs. breaking over when correct torque is achieved.

You are supposed to pull steady to the torque value. The snap-on's vibration is superior to a beep though!!!!!

I hear ya there was an adjustment period when I got my electric.

The tech angle wrenches are the coolest thing since sliced bread. One of my co workers just got the 3/4" for the low low. Price of $1200!!!!!