Torque wrench calibrations

the vibration does cause you to actually release tension... it's instinctive I guess... the beep is worthless IMO :eek:

i guess i am just old school with my clicker. and i can get them calibrated for free at work.

If you are tightening studs, a dial indicator is going to be the most accurate method of tensioning.

Tobin

I always heard that most torque wrenches are "off".. Dependant on age usage etc.. I also heard that you should use the same torque wrench for the whole assembly... Head, main caps, rods, etc and even though its off a bit that it will be fine because all the bolts have equal torque...
It hasn't failed me yet and I am using a 10 year old snap on....

Is that so if it fails, everything fails?

Tobin

we stored everything at 20%

HF wrenches are just chinese Proto copies...

if a wrench is completely slacked off and gets bumped pretty good, it can throw the calibration off, keeping a little tension on it helps prevent this

we stored everything at 20%

HF wrenches are just chinese Proto copies...

if a wrench is completely slacked off and gets bumped pretty good, it can throw the calibration off, keeping a little tension on it helps prevent this
Oh ok got ya.

Thanks

If you are tightening studs, a dial indicator is going to be the most accurate method of tensioning.

Tobin

Tough to do when you are using a ratchet, and even worse if the stud turns at all, telling you that your stud just got shorter. Most accurate way is to mic them, but unless its something like a rod bolt, thats tough to do.

Why not use a regular ratchet and just guess?

believe it or not, the proto knock-offs are actually fairly decent :eek:

I wouldn't use one, personally, but I've calibrated a ton of them and been very surprised by them MANY MANY times

I will say that with any torque wrench... especially if it's a cheap one or if it's been sitting for a long time, if you can run it up high on the scale and click it out 5-10 times, it seems to "warm them up" and all of a sudden the numbers come into line or damn close to it

again, my recommendation for anybody in the market for a new wrench is to look into the CDI manufactured TQR style wrenches

Tough to do when you are using a ratchet, and even worse if the stud turns at all, telling you that your stud just got shorter. Most accurate way is to mic them, but unless its something like a rod bolt, thats tough to do.

Yes, the best way is to mic them but that is usually isn't able to be done. If the fastener is drilled, then using a depth mic works good. A dial indicator will work using a open end wrench. I just hate using a torque wrench since there are so many variables that can give a false reading on the actual stretch of the fastener, although most times that is all you can use.

Tobin

Do you have any experience calibrating matco torque wrenches forrest? Just wondering how they compare with CDI or if they are made by CDI

a quick google search looks like they have CDI wrenches and Proto style wrenches. not sure if they're proto made or not

If you find a Snapon dealer they most likely have the gauge on their truck to see how far off the torque wrenches are. We have one on our truck. The Atech wrenches are the coolest but we use all kinds dial, click and electronic at the engine shop. If we need the studs to creep we use the dial its the easiest on the fastner and gasket

Last edited: