Torquing up ARP's

Extended Power

What make, size, and range of torque wrench did you use to tighten up your ARP's?

I borrowed a 1/2" drive from a shop, but it only went to 250FT/lbs.:bang

I think I should have used a 3/4" drive with a range of 300-400 FT/lbs.

Just so they are more accurate.

Also...can you retorque the head gaskets? I'm thinking that after they have "run-in" with the engine heat, and coolant temps...things settle down a bit, or relax, and they should be checked again. (Kinda like wheel lugnuts.)

Tighten, loosen, then re-torque to 245ft/lbs three times on the headstuds....correct?

I had to buy a new snap on torque wrench that goes to 150. I have snap on check the calibration of it everytime I do a head gasket job, its been dead on every time. The second time I used it though I did snap the head off it on the last stud I torqued. Snap on warrantied it though no questions asked. I've done six truck with the new torque wrench with no issues.

What are you up to Ivan ? After watching The Grey Cup , I kinda feel like redoing my headstuds too !!!!!

I had to buy a new snap on torque wrench that goes to 150. I have snap on check the calibration of it everytime I do a head gasket job, its been dead on every time. The second time I used it though I did snap the head off it on the last stud I torqued. Snap on warrantied it though no questions asked. I've done six truck with the new torque wrench with no issues.

Are you sure it's only 150?

1/2 drive snap-on torque wrench. Torque the pattern in stages.

I did the pattern in like 5 stages/steps.

Just not sure that the torque setting of the wrench was accurate.

Don't you have to back then off, then retorque them like 3 times?

Thanks Doug.

What are you up to Ivan ?

I seem to have a slight problem with coolant right now.
Not sure why, cuz I don't have an EGR, I have ARP studs, machined block, and heads....and the heads are '06's with hardened seats in them...Thinking the studs have stretched, and need to be re-torqued or something, cuz I have pushed the engine waaaay harden then I am now, without any problems.

Thinking of doing something totally stupid....:evil

Hey Chad....you listening?:poke:

I'm $350.00 certain that it only goes to 150, wasn't very happy about having to buy it on short notice, but thats how it goes. They make a digital one that goes to 500 ft lbs but its 500 dollars. On your coolant issue have you checked oil cooler at all?

I did the pattern in like 5 stages/steps.

Just not sure that the torque setting of the wrench was accurate.

Don't you have to back then off, then retorque them like 3 times?

Thanks Doug.

If you were pulling with both hands and it clicked somewhere around the point you thought "I'm gonna break something" Then I wouldn't start questioning the accuracy of the tool you used.

What did you use to lube the threads while you were assembling?

If you were pulling with both hands and it clicked somewhere around the point you thought "I'm gonna break something" Then I wouldn't start questioning the accuracy of the tool you used.

What did you use to lube the threads while you were assembling?

ARP's lube grease

Not sure why I have an issue now thou...everything is deleted..perfectly flat surfaces, new gaskets....wtf?

Now with the engine in...I can't pull the heads off and put new gaskets on...I have to pull the cab, or the engine...

(Red Loctite is a b!tch)

It's an 03. Did you get yourself an 04up front cover and get the bigger water pump?

Back