Tow Haul Mode Question???

05TowBoss

When I tow my 40' 5th wheel up the grades from SD to Glamis and back in D with tow haul it doesn't seem to want to downshift in a timely manner...I'll be going 55-60MPH up the grades and by the time it downshifts I'm crawling at 30-35MPH until it finally downshifts...by then it's to late...I've lost all momentum...also the tranny temps start to climb...T/H works great on the flats and downhill and when leaving from a stop...but when I pull the same grades in D with T/H off it seems to downshift a lot sooner and the tranny stays cooler...

Should I be dropping the tranny into 3rd with T/H on? Or could there be something up with Tow Haul Mode? Any ideas?
Thanks for the help!

I'd suggest getting an SCT. You don't have to necessarily add power but you can have the "tow" setting customized to perform how you'd like. Also, the better shifts will help keep the tranny temps lower and put less stress on it. Then, if you want, go ahead and add some mild "torque" tunes since you have a pyro to monitor with.

The original tow/haul programming from Ford was good about downshifting but on some of the later flashes/programs, it's a little weak on the downshift and "tow" shift patterns. With an SCT, you can have all this setup to do what YOU want, not what Ford thinks you want or what they decide for you to have. My Street tune has some killer shifting in the tow mode. Downshifts really well and keeps the t/c locked better on decel to really help control loads.

Last edited:
The only way is the SCT...buy one, tell your tuner of choice (choose from our many illustrious vendors) what you want!..voila.

I think your stock programming is screwy!!!

Mine downshifts on every grade no matter how big or small.

Even with the cruise control on hauling 8k. It keeps a stedy speed no matter what.

mikehalseyjr said:
I think your stock programming is screwy!!!

Mine downshifts on every grade no matter how big or small.

Even with the cruise control on hauling 8k. It keeps a stedy speed no matter what.

I agree...I think there is something funny with the stock programming...I'll have to take it to the dealer and have them check it out...any suggestions on what I should let them know besides I think the programming is screwy?
Thanks guys...

I think no matter what you tell them they will just reflash the PCM.

Has it always done this??

mikehalseyjr said:
I think no matter what you tell them they will just reflash the PCM.

Has it always done this??

Yes it's always been like this...

Someone posted something about their tow haul getting better after the latest emissions flash which I've had...I just havent had a chance to tow with it since the flash...

If I were you, I would go hook up, just for peace of mind.

Then if it is still screwing up, go back to the dealer.

You paid a lot of money for this truck, and you need it to perform @ tip top shape.