Towing 15,000lbs with DDP stage 4 injectors.

BiodieselPower

I know someone will probably want to call bs here, but I have towed on three occasions 12,000 to 15,000lbs up to 75 mph when running ddp stage 4 140hp injectors. I was just wondering how much anyone else has towed using this big of injectors? I hooked up to the trailer just to see how hot it would get not really expecting to be able to go anywhere with reasonable acceleration. But with my valet switch off i can go full trottle to able 70mph and only hit 1150 in the manifold. Cruise at 70-75 egts are 1,000. Max boost is 35-40 with switch off. No smoke whatsoever.
There are quite a few things on the truck to cool it like hypermax intercooler, ported head, twin turbos(are S475/HTT 62/13ss), banks twinram, 5’’exhaust. But what really seems to cool the truck is running straight biodiesel. When running diesel i would hit 1,200 unloaded with a moderate acceleration and peg 1,500 with two seconds at full throttle. I switched to straight biodiesel and now see 1,000 on mod. acc. and maxes out at around 1,400 with valet on 0-100mph unloaded. It still seems to make the same power on bio(i know i need some sort of proof here). When i ran bio in my powerstroke i could tell a noticeable loss of power, but not on this truck, i think it is because i have plenty of extra fuel on the Cummins and not enough on the powerstroke.(since bio has 11% less BTU but higher cetane so more of what go’s in gets burned) I actually get about 2mpg better on bio with less BTU more of the fuel has to be getting burned.
I just though it was cool to be able to tow that much weight with this kind of power on a 12v. I know if im the first but i was always under the assumption that it could really be done, maybe other guys with a valet switch have done it?? cuz if the switch is on it get hot fast with 15,000lbs.
One other thing im sure someone will ask is how i know it was 15,000, well i was hauling pumpkins and had the trailer only weighed before/after.

The twins, intercooler, ported head, and valet switch are what made that possible. And I could see bio running cooler since it has less BTU than regular diesel but I'm chalking the majority of that up to the above mentioned mods.

A lot of people think that 15,000 pounds is heavyLOL Wait till you hook to something thats actually heavy. With that much air and that little fuel on valet, I don't see why it would get hot...with that load...seems believable to me.

Ok, i guess that it was difficult, but i guess not. My powerstroke chipped in the hot setting would get warmer than that. Guess cummins really are better. How much do you guys think you could tow with ddp stage 4's driving responably.

i did it on several occasions too

had pics up on DTR once upon a time, with dragonfly injectors and twins.. Didnt have a problem at all, just never got it into overdrive gear, let the truck do the work slowly, and kept it at 55-60 all the way... saw no more than 1000 degrees IIRC, and no more than 25-30 lbs of boost..

truck did very well with that setup, Oh and DVs were stock 181s

i dont call bs, i call doable...

I say very doable... I do it with my single 60mm VGT and 5x.014s. Though I don't seem to run that hot though. Must not have as much fuel tuned in as I thought...:doh:

i run equivelent of ddp-4,s. ve doesnt push as much fuel though. i tow alot at high elevation. dont have any problems on flat at any speed. hills i have to watch egt,s if im heavy.

Attachments

• P1010972.jpg
    P1010972.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 66
Thats definately doable, I towed 8-14 round bales with 5x.017" injectors a few times back when I had them.

I did, 21K gross, with ddp comps, and .022 dv's, with a 62mm charger. Wasn't bad if I kept the rpm's up.

just under 24K here with ddp4's, hx35 and 10 plate in stock position. 3rd gear up to 65mph. it's all in the foot and tuning.

Doesn't seem out of the norm at all, I run them on my truck with a Silver Bullet and still on make 1450 degrees, that's at say 625-650 hp.

Jim

I just had two tractors on my GN, GVW of the entire outfit was 35k, 75hp injectors, a few other goodies and twins, could drive 65 no problem, egt were 900.

yeah, what are the 4's?Like 150HP? Bought mine used, never asked.. I watched them make 550 so i bought them.