trailer sway?

I have towed with all, the dmax I drove did good other than being revved out of its brain the whole damn time. I'm not sure what to blame this problem on, I need to drag something else and see.

Currently looking at building a trailer...

I have been in the "trailer sway" business for 14+ years now. Controlling it depends on many variables. Speed, tire pressure, tow vehicle wheel base, tow vehicle rear overhang, trailer length, trailer loading, tongue weight distribution and pivot point location.

Most conventional hitches attempt to damp the sway with some application of friction. These hitches would be the Equalizer, Reese Dual-Cam, Husky and a number of other brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would save your money up or get a loan and a get some type of gooseneck most 14k trailers new are about $4-$5000 or you could buy a used 20k gvw for that and be done with it. especially if you want to haul your truck alot it will be well worth the money and alot safer

This thread is worse than death wobble threads...

Death wobble mean wrong caster...

Trailer wobble means wrong tongue load...

Period...no if ands or buts....flat tires...no tires...cheater hitch (sounds like a steering dampener)....lol

ive never had any sucess with backing a vehicle on the trailor and towing without sway. Even if the truck bumper lowers and inch or two the majority of the weight would still be past the rear axles on the trailor. Just my .02

Two issues above:

One, I dont have a dually.

Two, I still had this issue after loading another truck with weight on the tounge.

Trailer wobble means wrong tongue load...

Period...no if ands or buts...l

X100000000000

figuring out percentages of the actual weight on the tongue is near impossible without knowing exact weights of everything you are putting on the trailer..... it is possible....just not easy to do for the "regular guy"..

this is how I show people to do it when I'm giving training...

towing-img-1.gif

images.jpg

Last edited:
Lower the trailer hitch, either the ball or the trailer couple. I believe you need more weight on the first axle than the second. Attitude is off. lol

If you look at either of tanks diagrams...you will see a properly built trailer...hence more deck infront of the axles than behind.

Typically since trailers are not custom built for one specific load case...the provide enough deck in the right place so that a uniform load of "xxx" PSF over the entire deck provides the correct tongue load.

It is possible to have sway from too much tongue load...but not as likely.

Go to the scales...cost ten bucks...or just break out a calculator.

Roachie...the tongue on your trailer looks short...hopfully it is 4'.

Sorry for the bad spelling...I am cross eyed right now

Dont be afraid...I dont have a dually either...and I have hundreds of thousands of miles on "big, unsafe, under load rated" tires...

Proper loading, proper air pressure, air bags....and a good trailer is all it takes.

I don't even feel it when a tire blows on all three of my bigger trailers...the trailer just looks a little cockeyed in the mirror. LOL

My 30' tandem axle enclosed slant nose bumper pull with (2) 7.5k axles has been know to catch some air with my truck traveling to and from motorcycle races. Never a sway...even when I popped the "Bulldog" coupler off the 2 5/16" ball. hehe

Could never figured out how that happened...so I welded a pintel lock on my drop hitch...nothing can come off now.

If you email me dimensions of the trailer...I will tell you where to put your truck.

cquestad@hotmail.com

Two issues above:

One, I dont have a dually.

Two, I still had this issue after loading another truck with weight on the tounge.

Go ahead and get a GN like mine. You know you want to hit barrels.

Wow....you guys who don't tow heavy have all the trouble:D

Whenever I'm towing, it's usually at max weight on whatever trailer I'm hooked to, so that must prevent the sway. I usually will also load the truck a bit heavy just to help with the ride quality.

Chris