Tranny cooler delete

ehines218

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using my phone or what but I can't find anything on this. What all do I have to do to take the tranny cooler on the side of the block off?

Heat exchanger is what I meant to say

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I plan on doing this when I remove the stock cooler and put a Derale under the truck(seen people do it like that, but I need to do more research on that cause I can't mount it in the bed). It looks like you just put plugs in where the lines go into the coolant system at the lower coolant inlet connection and the other spot on the front pass. side of the block. The one that I'm not sure about either is the hose that goes through the firewall, I think I'll just plumb that one into the head like the one next to it.

What do you do with the lines that go to the tranny?

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using my phone or what but I can't find anything on this. What all do I have to do to take the tranny cooler on the side of the block off?

Unbolt it and plug the coolant lines Bypass the trans line going to it
Keep in mind you will need a bigger trans cooler other wise it will overheat

See what would cause it to over heat all that's happening it tranny fluid goes in there and gets heated by hot coolant

See what would cause it to over heat all that's happening it tranny fluid goes in there and gets heated by hot coolant

It also draws heat from the tranny fluid. You will need more than the front mounted trans cooler to keep your trans temp in check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this when mine started leaking. The easiest way is to cut the stock hard lines, use a flaring tool, and put some -AN style barb fittings on there. Just bypass that whole side of the circuit.

That being said, even with a bigger cooler up front, mine started getting hot while towing. I'm going to get a new one and toss the heat exchange back on.

Also, if you want to completely remove it, there's three of four bolts on the steel bracket that hold it on, then you need some plugs for your coolant lines that go there. I couldn't find any I liked, so I just turned some aluminum and made plugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that the 6.7 don't have heat exchangers . Is this correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that the 6.7 don't have heat exchangers . Is this correct?

I don't know for sure, but I can almost guarantee if they don't have the style on the passenger side of the block, they've got the style like the DMax's with it by the radiator.

Everyone I've talked to says you cool way down without it. Sometimes to the point that your trans doesn't get up to temp during winter. Towing maybe if your going slow with converter unlocked quite a bit but I will have 2-4th locked most of the time I think I'll be alright

That's correct.

I'm curious why they don't have overheating issues l but when you remove the exchanger on a 5.9 it likes to get hot . I took mine off a while back when I redid the trans and put a derale cooler with fan underneath, it doesn't stay as cool as I'd like it to but for the most part it gets the job done. Also on a higher hp trans ( running higher pressures).i really don't see what the big deal is running no heat exchanger in the winter. The reason I say that is because people are running hydraulic fluid in these things which had to be a lot thicker than cold atf.

Everyone I've talked to says you cool way down without it. Sometimes to the point that your trans doesn't get up to temp during winter. Towing maybe if your going slow with converter unlocked quite a bit but I will have 2-4th locked most of the time I think I'll be alright

That's what I've heard as well.

I'm curious why they don't have overheating issues l but when you remove the exchanger on a 5.9 it likes to get hot . I took mine off a while back when I redid the trans and put a derale cooler with fan underneath, it doesn't stay as cool as I'd like it to but for the most part it gets the job done. Also on a higher hp trans ( running higher pressures).i really don't see what the big deal is running no heat exchanger in the winter. The reason I say that is because people are running hydraulic fluid in these things which had to be a lot thicker than cold atf.

Which Derale cooler did you install?

When driving your truck the converter is more like a heat pump. Gears 1-4 create heat until the converter locks up. The only cooler i have found that will keep it cool is a for 6.0 (28) or (31) row trans cooler

Ya but when your locking it in 2nd you don't have that problem. A good auxiliary cooler should do fine

That's what I've heard as well.

Which Derale cooler did you install?

I don't remember the part number but I know it the biggest one they have I think it's like a hyper cool or something

I did this when mine started leaking. The easiest way is to cut the stock hard lines, use a flaring tool, and put some -AN style barb fittings on there. Just bypass that whole side of the circuit.

That being said, even with a bigger cooler up front, mine started getting hot while towing. I'm going to get a new one and toss the heat exchange back on.

Also, if you want to completely remove it, there's three of four bolts on the steel bracket that hold it on, then you need some plugs for your coolant lines that go there. I couldn't find any I liked, so I just turned some aluminum and made plugs.

X2 I also cut and flared the lines put a fitting and mated them together, just running the stock cooler up front, I've never had an issue with the temps getting hot with a double deep pan. But I don't tow to much either.