Tranny/Torque Convertor? I need more speed!

Jess@FarmboyFab

DC's idol
Need wiring help, or maybe just tech advice.

I have (I am told) the 47RH tranny. I have ONLY the shift linkage, throttle position cable, and the three wires toward the back (facing upwards) hooked up. The center wire is 12V power, the front and rear are on toggle switches to a ground (I dont know how well these are functioning, but figure this is not my actual current problem)

Am I missing any wires to get this to shift properly?

The TC was installed by a few of us, and I know it was mostly full, but no one knows if it was filled completely.

I can shift into drive and sometimes it will stay in first and top out at about 5mph, sometimes I can feel it shift pretty quickly up to third and still only max out at about 5mph. It is taching out well above the given speed. It just feels like I have a 100:1 gear ratio. TC doesnt feel like its slipping, but I am not ruling it out.

Am I overlooking some wiring? There are a few non-connected plugs.

Help. I wanna go fast. :nos:

- Jesse

has this tranny ever worked with this set up? Is it good did you have someone go through it little more info on the situation.

You're either slipping the forward clutches or the converter. The direct pack and second gear aren't doing anything. Are you sure there is enough fluid in it? It will move (poorly) with as little as 8qts. You need 18+ depending on the cooler setup.

has this tranny ever worked with this set up? Is it good did you have someone go through it little more info on the situation.

1st - 3rd worked fine in the donor. O/D and lockup were not. (said to be bad PCM)

You're either slipping the forward clutches or the converter. The direct pack and second gear aren't doing anything. Are you sure there is enough fluid in it? It will move (poorly) with as little as 8qts. You need 18+ depending on the cooler setup.

I dont know if the TC was completely full. We put probably 12-15qts in the tranny (it is at the full line), but dont think we did 18qts. It did seem like it would take a lot of oil and not move past full though.

Luckily I have a couple of free guys today. Tranny & TC is coming out and going back in. :bang

0-200psi is fine, needs about 6-8' of line that terminates in a 1/8" NPT male fitting if you want to run it inside the passenger door.

Talked to Garmons the other day. He was a huge help. Turns out the RH transmission has two hydraulic tubes that mate up with the RH tailshaft housing. Apparently with the RE tailshaft section I was using (no tubes), the fluid was just dumping into the tailshaft housing/t-case. Therefore it would shift, but didnt have the line pressure to hold the clutches decently.

SOO, I sent one of my guys on a 5 hour roundtrip to pick up a complete craigslist 47RH...only to have it be a 47RE. Now I have two worthless trannies, and someone is to going to get smacked in the side of the head with a 47RE after we take our fuel money back from him.

Anyone have a 47RH laying around, or just the 4x4 O/D tailshaft section??

Tim Barber at TRE Diesel may have one if you can't find one anywhere else...we took a couple cores out there last time I went out to visit him. Might be something left.

Chris

Tim Barber at TRE Diesel may have one if you can't find one anywhere else...we took a couple cores out there last time I went out to visit him. Might be something left.

Chris

Calling now. Thank you.

None, may have one next week...but im still looking.

Last edited:
If you don't mind running full line pressure 100% of the time, you should be able to loop the line or, even better, run a full manual VB. I'm running a manual VB with nothing in the tailhousing (like a RE).