Trans 911

strokinjoke

Addicted
Hello to all. Haven't posted on here much but now i need some help. So to start I got a 99 250 auto. Trans pan has had a slight leak for awhile now I just keep an eye on it but I over tightened the pan last time I changed it just haven't had time to fix. Had a 6 hr drive form mom and dads back to my house in southwest va today. So if your going down the interstate at let's say 70 and the truck is coasting it is fine. Acts completely normal. As soon as you touch the go pedal you feel a little thump and it sounds and feels like you have all 4 on the rumble strips. If you mash the go pedal going into a curve at any speed it intensifies about 5 times. Made it almost home and it started pouring fluid so I parked and got a ride until I can get it home. I guess in just need to know what I should check or look for. Probably gonna try to pull the trans this weekend if I can find somewhere level enough. Any help is much appreciated.

Sounds like the TC is goin south and probably the rest of the tranny.
Have you checked the U-joints?

No not yet I just got the truck to the house this evening but I'm planning on dropping the pan tomorrow. From what I could tell today it looked like the trans is leaking somewhere in the back.

Just noticed where you were from jjeepyjohn. im from pulaski just south of you. i know a lot of people up your way though.

So I looked it over this evening. Oil is leaking out of the top somewhere right around where the tail shaft meets the case. Any ideas where it would be coming from. Only leaks when truck is running.

Those years had issues with the TC from the factory. They start making a noise that most people say they can't hear. After that its just a matter of time. Some will last for years like that and some won't. My guess is your TC probably started coming apart and blew shavings into the rest of the trans and and now its done or almost done. Drop the pan and check the fluid and filter for shavings.

ok i will do that as soon as i get home. i was going to do that yesterday but someone at work convinced me there wouldnt be anything in the pan but i was thinking there should be something. if i dont see anything in it im gonna send some oil off and get it sampled here at work.

Excited to get a new one but kinda bad timing.

I know how that goes.. who's trans were ya thinking of goin with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back