trans problems 48re

HEAVYHITR

this trans been a nightmare since i brought this truck from gibson in fla . when it's cold it does weird stuff like slipage . but the worst is when i almost stop or stop it doesn't seem to downshift to 1st gear .in the am when i come down my street i have to manually downshift to low and wind it out to the shifts .sometimes even in 1st i have to make sure istop completely and then inch up tappin the throttle till i feel it drop to low . it was doing this before ,then i brought the truck to a trans shop in nj and he rebuilt it with a triple disc conv and now it shifts sluggish and does the non downshift worse then ever!! what makes them downshift ?sometimes i can have it in 1st manual and it will still shift to 2nd ? im suposed to go back and have him put this vb (goerend )that i just bought and a deep pan and a actuator in and was just wundering if anybody had these problems !! thanks

Wow that was REALLY hard to read.
Next time try breaking it up a bit.

Get the VB installed and the bands adjusted as per Goerend recommends then report back.

Wow that was REALLY hard to read.
Next time try breaking it up a bit.

Get the VB installed and the bands adjusted as per Goerend recommends then report back.

as you can see i'm not a writer and was just asking for some help .Many guys have had problems with these 48re's and i was just trying to find out what it could be .

so no other imput except you schooling me on writing ? WELL THANKS !

I think thats what you call "input".

I didn't sell you a truck did I?

He shoulda done his research. Im guessin he bought his truck from Gibson Truck World or something like that, they dont have a great reputation for selling quality trucks.:nail:

People ruining me name everyday. Oh well.

I have sold a few cummins that were 48re so I just had to ask. Never keep track of who I sell them too. I've probably sold 60-70 of them
Over the last few years at auction and the car lot I work at on occasion and so forth.

Where are you at in ny? Where did it go to in nj level 10 ?

as you can see i'm not a writer and was just asking for some help .Many guys have had problems with these 48re's and i was just trying to find out what it could be .

so no other imput except you schooling me on writing ? WELL THANKS !

So the truck was doing this before, and you had it gone through and it still does it? Not trying to skool you on writing, but it would help if it was written a little more clear.

If the trans still slips, and still does the same thing after being rebuilt, Id for sure find a new trans shop. The shift issue sounds like a pressure sensor/solinoid issue. If its truely slipping, you have other things to worry about as well.

gibson truckworld orlando fla . had my boy who works for dodge put his scanner on it and he said it's the govener sensor and solenoid .something about it's at 99 and should be at 29 ? but funny thing is the guy told me he was replacing all of them and then said somebody had put a gm kit in it .i'm assuming he saw that and never replaced it and it's bad ? because it was doing the same before the rebuild !
i'm in westchester ny (1/2 hr from gw bridge and shop is near camden which is like 2 1/2 hrs away !!

So the truck was doing this before, and you had it gone through and it still does it? Not trying to skool you on writing, but it would help if it was written a little more clear.

If the trans still slips, and still does the same thing after being rebuilt, Id for sure find a new trans shop. The shift issue sounds like a pressure sensor/solinoid issue. If its truely slipping, you have other things to worry about as well.

well i'm gonna leave at 5am to get there at 8am when he opens and i have my new goerend vb and a new bd deep pan ,and a new dodge actuator (goerend recomended i change it ! 300 l8tr) and i will tell him to change the solenoid (like he was suposed to do !) soon as i drove it home ,next am i told him it was sluggish and so on !

school ?

I was asking because im in orange county ,(middletown ) If you need a hand throwing those parts in let me know it doesnt take all that long, you buy the beer. Did the shop order the valve body for you (goerend)???Just read last post ,did you go with a constant pressure valve body?

Last edited:
i know where middletown is ,a little past newburgh ? he didn't recomend that one for me because of the towing .Said it would be too agressive .i haul a kaufman 4 car trailer avg 26,000 + maybe should of bought a 6spd !

No the 48re is a good trans when built right.I have to wonder if he cleaned the valve body and flushed the cooler lines? maybe he did changed the gov pressure sensor and switch and the **** from the old toasted trans went back through it.The slipping issue is something different.Second gear starts will slip,If you feel that pull it down to manual lo and see if you can feel it downshift .How bad was the trans when you took it to him?

What is your line pressure running at? have they put a gauge on it ? if the ECM sees to much line pressure it will put the trans in limp mode it starts in second gear. DTT sells a voltage regulator for that problem, also talk goerend about it they my have a fix.

Last edited:
Gov pressure is road speed 99% should be 0 when your not moving.