Trans sticking in first gear?

chopper

I had my tranny rebuilt by some guy on the side of the road about a year ago. I know I know! It let go on me and I didnt have the big money at the time, and still dont. What its doing is sticking in first too long. It dosent do it all the time, about 2 out of 5 time maybe more. Once it gets past shifting its great! I mean i can go a 100 yds and it wont shift! Anybody got any ideas. I need to make this thing last at least one more year before i let "The Jeff Garmon" have it. Thanks Chris.

Have you adjusted your front band? Tighten it to snug and back it off 2 turns if you have'nt and see if it makes a difference. After trying that change your fluid and see if you see a bunch of metalics in the pan. Your front servo may be sticking or have a leak not allowing for the front band to be applied. Or your front band may be toast.

Dumb question? How the hell do you tighten the front band? Im not a transmission mech. Any help would be great. Thanks Chris

trans sticking in first gear?

chopper,

Drop your pan, first.
Then go from there.

WAYNES WORLD

Dumb question? How the hell do you tighten the front band? Im not a transmission mech. Any help would be great. Thanks Chris

Driver side above the front cooler line(actually its above and to the rear a little) on the side of the case you will see a 3/4" nut with either a square drive or a T40 torx drive adjusting bolt. Put a mark on the adjuster bolt so you can tell how many revolutions you do. Loosen the 3/4" nut and screw the adjuster bolt in, count how many revolutions it takes to screw it in until it is snug. Then back it off 2 turns and tighten the 3/4" nut with out moving the adjuster bolt.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I was told you need to use a .25" allen rench like a feeler gauge between the lever arm the the scrubbing face in the transmission. Tigthen down until the allen wrench is snug between the two. This was for my Goerend trans.

Chrysler spec is tighten to 75 in/lbs(I think), and then 1 3/4 turns for a diesel, and like 2 turns for a gas. Once again I don't have the service manual. You do not want it too tight as it will drag on the drum and basically burn it up. I would prefer to have it on the loose side.

my service book says 75 in/lbs and 2 turns out. try this first as it will only take a few minutes and may be the problem.

I was told you need to use a .25" allen rench like a feeler gauge between the lever arm the the scrubbing face in the transmission. Tigthen down until the allen wrench is snug between the two. This was for my Goerend trans.

It is equivelant to the same as 2 turns out.