Trans still shifting early but i checked everything and there are no codes!

cumminspbre

The trans was just rebuilt and art did a great job he checked all of the sensers and he showed me the sheet and they were all within spec!

the trans is shifting way to early from a stop it starts off in first and then shifts into second at like 5mph and then to third by 10mph but overdrive and lock up are fine shifting at like 35 and lock up at like 40 but why does it shift so early?

I have checked everything the tps reads 1.01 at idle and 4.02 at wot, the tv cable is adjusted perfect all the way back at wot and starts to move with throttle, gov pressure senser is good, the crank senser is good cause the tach works, the vehicle speed sencer is kindof good cause art said the reading was kindof low but not bad.

I dont know what to do or who to ask i am so lost please help???? thank you for any input!!!!

1998 and it is a trans go shift kit.

And we hooked up a pressure gauge to the trans and checked the line pressure and the gauge was reading right in spec with the tv cable pulled to wot with the truck ideling in drive the line pressure went to 125 which is right where trans go said it should be.

Anything else??

Are we judged for spelling cause i would get an F haha :bang sorry bout that..... Sensor

Your transgo needs to go it will always stack shifts me and Jeff Garmon have made a kit that helps this dramatically but once u transgo your valve body its not fixable. The best u can do is run the minimum TV screw way in this might help some

well this may be a dumb question but its not like i havent already mad myself look like an ass but what is minimum TV screw?

once again sorry for the mistake but no need to be rude. If you have any input to help that would be great! thanks again

On the valve body on the drivers side you will have to cock the pan down there are two Allen headed screws the one towards the front is your PR adjustment the one in the back is your minimum or idle TV or throttle valve pressure normally you don't turn it but in your case with the transgo kit it might help a little

well i may have to try that but could there be something that i am missing or over looking that could be the problem? The only reason i ask is because it did this before i had the trans rebuilt??

Did your builder replace the solenoid and sensor with new ones. There not that expensive and should replaced with a new build every time

Last edited:
no he checked each one and wrote down the readings and had a paper on the specs and they were all within specs except the speed sensor was a lil on the low side but the speedo reads right and he said that the 1-2-3 is not so much computer controlled.

The computer looks at tps rpm of the engine and output shaft rpm and MPH to operate the electronic governor and for Lockup and o/d timing

well i know i got the tps spot on the engine rpm seems to be fine, mph im not sure about and output shaft rpm i have no idea about. od seems to come in at the right time and lockup also seems to be working ok. I am just baffled about this cause it did it right before had the trans rebuilt and now it does the same thing? o and one other thing when it shifts from first to second it feels perfect but when it shifts from second to third it seems to like slip into neutral for a second and then shift into third????

O and thats only when i manually shift it not under hard throttle or anything just cruseing up to speed nicely and it also does it under hard throttle?

Your problem is transgo trust me. Me and Jeff Garmon work with this same problem until we built our own shift kit to correct these problems. Your third gear shift is called third gear bindup what you are feeling is the second gear band has not fully released bofore direct clutch is engaged so you feel a bind. The other problem is called third gear cut loose the transgo kit does nothing for this but we have a fix for it. Trust me we fought these same issues years ago so we developed a solution.

sounds like your governor pressures are too high not your line pressure. governor pressure should be 1psi for every mph. I would go with quarterman on this one thouhg. i personally have never heard anything good about the transgo shift kits.

Is there a way to lower the gov press? or would i need a new shift kit and also a new valve body to fix this problem?

Back