Trans Trouble

Bone stock 99

Hello all, I got a 2004 ram 3500 with a 48re and I'm having an odd problem. When I first start my truck up it will go into gear fine but it will only stay in gear for about a minute and then it begins to act as though it is slipping until it quits working all together. If I shut the truck off and start it back up it does the same thing. I have noticed that the trans control relay gets a little bit warm and 2 prongs seem to get warm as well. I believe I have a short to ground, I'm just curious if this is somewhat common and where to find a good wiring diagram.

Thanks, Joe.

O diagnose, unplug the 8 pin connector on drivers side of transmission and start truck while its disconnected. If you can manually shift from neutral directly to first and then manually up shift through the gears (no overdrive /lockup since power is unplugged) then it's an electronic issue, my guess is you have a pressure problem that has nothing to do with electronics

Lavon

Awesome, I'll give that a try. I did unplug one of the big connectors on the firewall and found a pin pushed in and it was trans related but has not fixed my problem. I don't doubt that its a pressure problem as the trans has sat for a sometime while I built the engine. It ran great for a while but ran into a problem running optimas in it, now this trans issue is rearin it's head. I'll let you know what I find ;).

Drop the pan and swap the filter... bust the old one apart and see if its clogged up.

I pulled that plug and ran the truck and it still acts the same. Im still guessing its an electronic problem because it is so predictable in how long it will stay in gear,it resets and does the same thing after you turn the truck off and fire it back up no matter how long it is shut off. That transmission control relay is getting warm as well on the prong that goes to ground. My brother did some research and found a similar incident like this where a brown & pink wire was rubbed through on someone elses truck causing this same problem. Im still going to drain the fluid and do a filter change just in case.

Well I did the filter and fluid change on the truck and it worked,... for about a day. I think its just time to bite the bullet and save up for a built trans.

When you first start it, debris is laying in the pan. As you drive it, debris gets sucked into filter and clogs the filter. First acts like a slip, then no move. Shut it off and let it all settle to the pan and you can move it again. Time for an overhaul.