Transfer case problems.

p7100

Swedish
Have a cummins -95 auto. When driving with 4x4 it makes a sound specially when turning och suddenly give a quick bump on the throttle. It sounds like the chain in the transfer case slips a click or two.
Now when i had my auto on rebuild i tested to hold the input shaft and turn the outgoing shaft to the front wheels, there is pretty big play between them, like a quater of a turn.
Can the chain be to slacky so it slips or what can it be?

I tried to have power through the drivetrain whole time and then it goes much better actually.

If it only acts up in 4WD, I would say it is your chain. My 94 3/4 ton gasser would slip on occasion. I took it apart and inspected everything. All it needed was a new chain and I installed new input and output seals, while it was apart.

Ok thanks for fast reply.

Are there expensive parts to these boxes?

I think the chain was $125 and got the seals at the local parts store. I took a piece of cardboard and pushed the transfer case housing bolts thru the cardboard. There are some studs and some with brackets I wanted to keep track of. If you have not torn into a transfer case yet, it would be worth the money to get a repair manual. I have had a couple of mine torn apart enough, I can almost do them in my sleep. They are pretty simple units. Check out your shift fork pads, while you have it apart.

I think the chain was $125 and got the seals at the local parts store. I took a piece of cardboard and pushed the transfer case housing bolts thru the cardboard. There are some studs and some with brackets I wanted to keep track of. If you have not torn into a transfer case yet, it would be worth the money to get a repair manual. I have had a couple of mine torn apart enough, I can almost do them in my sleep. They are pretty simple units. Check out your shift fork pads, while you have it apart.

I will give it a try on the friday evening. I hope the chain is bad otherwise i don't know what could be the problem.

If you have that much slack in your transfer case, you will be amazed how much a new chain tightens up the slop. Let me know if you have any questions when you get started on teardown.

If you have that much slack in your transfer case, you will be amazed how much a new chain tightens up the slop. Let me know if you have any questions when you get started on teardown.

Thanks man, really appriciat it. Just hope the gears isn't messed up.
Thanks again

I been looking at some rebuildkits for these 241 cases. And if i read right there is diffrent input bearing on these units...
Anyone who knows which one there is on a cummins dodge -95 auto????
Really need help fast now guys:blahblah1:
Thanks

its either a 16mm or 24mm. my 99 auto dld had a 24mm. found this last week when swapping input shafts for a 5 speed now i have to get the 16mm. some autos came with a dhd too. so that really messes stuff up. im gonna say dld auto 24mm dhd auto 16mm. hope this helps.

Ok thanks.
By the way the snap ring on the rear output wear broken and also the snap ring which holds the 3 little things on the syncronizer hub wear broken.

By the way should it be 1 or 2 snap rings on the hub???
Which shaft are they talking about when they talking about the input bearing which is available in 2 diffrent sizes???

The shaft that goes onto the transmission tailshaft

Yes i see.
How many insert springs is there on the syncronizer hub? I had 1/2 spring and alot of metal junk in the bottom of the case. Is there 1 or 2 insert springs or what they are called?

What kind of chain is it in the cases? How many links and how wide is it?
Don't have it in my arms now therefor i'm asking.

Back