transfer case upgrade

prochargeddart

hey, i've had suspicions about my transfer case lately, can i guy put better parts in one, or is there an aftermarket out there? np 205 swap?

205 would be going backwards on strength. They won't last behind a torquey diesel. What you have is as good as it gets for transfer cases from a pickup.

X2 205 is not the way to go been there done that. 271 is the best choice, unless you go a drop box and make it competition only.

ya its a 271 d... at times if im a bit jumpy with the clutch startin off in 2nd or something, i sort of hear a grind or skip almost in something.. tranny seems fine so i was thinkin chain stretch, and the other day i changed oil in it and it was grey.. and i change oil fairly often, and yes i put atf in it. tomorrow i'll be doin it again, see what it looks like. can i rebuild it myself fairly easy? best place to get a rebuild kit? special tools needed?

Rebuilds are cake. New seals and bearings will run you around $150. I usually get my parts from Transfer Case Express. They are alright for parts. They do a crappy job on remans I've found out.

No captions but I took pictures of each step to disassemble. It isn't hard to figure out.

[ame="http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/ddcummins/NP271/"]NP271 pictures by ddcummins - Photobucket[/ame]

I guess I did add captions. Forgot about that. I was swapping Input shafts and swapping the mainshaft to the Ford Fixed yoke style. There is no need to take the gears off the mainshaft like I did. No bearings there.

Last edited:
thanks, i'll check that out. how does one know how much chain slack is too much. not that i've ever had a chain style t case apart. but im sure it can't be too hard, i do basically everything else myself..

A simple rebuild is not that hard, but tolerances and clearances is another thing.