Transmission #3...Why?

DirtyBlonde

The Pink & Black Attack
It's not so much a question of what...But WHY?

In early Feb. of this year my stock transmission finally ate it, and it was replaced with a re-built tranmission that received a BD Valve Body & T/C, brand new set of clutches, and so on and so forth.

During a pull in Vegas the darned thing started to slip, and I let off to save the poor ol' boy. And so on and so forth. Anyways....It got worse. A horrific shudder developed in reverse, then it slipped between 1/2 and 2/3 for about a week before it got parked at the shop of the guy who built it.
I just now got word that he got into it and discovered that the 2/3 clutches were completely worn down and the converter is in great dispair. The higher gears, apparently, were fine. I'm gonna go see it myself tonight for gits and shiggles....
My concern is that he had no explanation for WHY it happened, and I'd like to know. If you know...Or at least have a reasonable sounding answer...Let me know??? :thankyou2:

the 47re is not the strongest tranny out there.

so you figure with 120hp sticks, a drag comp, and smarty, your truck is putting a bit over 400hp thru the tranny, trying to turn 35" tires while dragging a sled...

im suprised it lasted as long as it did.

DirtyBlonde said:
During a pull in Vegas the darned thing started to slip, and I let off to save the poor ol' boy.

Not that I'm an automatic expert, but there are generally 2 ways to do anything on a high-dollar, high horsepower, high expectations diesel..

The right way.

And twice.

I would consider a national, highly known transmission builder.. Nothing against keeping business local, but its your money in the end.

MD-LUCKY said:
Not that I'm an automatic expert, but there are generally 2 ways to do anything on a high-dollar, high horsepower, high expectations diesel..

The right way.

And twice.

I would consider a national, highly known transmission builder.. Nothing against keeping business local, but its your money in the end.

I agree... Local tranny guys rarely posess the knowledge that folks whou build high HP Diesel trannies for a living do.
Any trans builder can slap parts in, but not all posess the knowlege to make it live.

SO...

It was the build then that made this occur?
(I'm not doubting that at all...It very well coud be. This guy had a GREAT reputation for diesel transmissions that apparently was reviews given by Gramps and his Superchip'ed pick 'em up.)

I'm just lookin for any reasoning in parts/my driving?

Seriously..The STOCK transmission held up longer. Blah!

Thanks, kids.

MD-LUCKY said:

The right way.

And twice.

10-4 on that.
You have to let your builder know that you are going to try and kill their transmission. Really. I don't know your guy, but the off the shelf parts even aftermarket wise, will not hold up to a torque monster.
You need a hot rod tranny. Big bucks, but if I remember right they had you in a big time Diesel mag. You got a rep to hold up now:)
Good luck

That's the kicker!

He knew!!!! He had a disclaimer of EXACTLY what was going to be going on and he was confident it would withstand it. Mind you, confidence doesn't hold tranmissions together.

I poured 4 grand into this go 'round. Wanna make bets on how much I put into the next one six months down the road? Haha!

Hts Transmissions.com Dusty Hawk Is The End All In Dodge Trannies. You Won't Break His With Your Horsepower Levels.$.02

get a real tranny.... If you set on pulling then you gonna need some billet parts too. Especially if you plan on upping the power.

DirtyBlonde said:
That's the kicker!

He knew!!!! He had a disclaimer of EXACTLY what was going to be going on and he was confident it would withstand it. Mind you, confidence doesn't hold tranmissions together.

I poured 4 grand into this go 'round. Wanna make bets on how much I put into the next one six months down the road? Haha!

if he stated it that it would withstand it thn make him cover to cost to rebuild

DirtyBlonde said:
It's not so much a question of what...But WHY?

In early Feb. of this year my stock transmission finally ate it, and it was replaced with a re-built tranmission that received a BD Valve Body & T/C, brand new set of clutches, and so on and so forth.

Stock Clutch packs? That may be the culprit right there, along with improper setup.

Maybe, if he is willing to cover costs you could put that towards an hot rod tranny. Diffr'nt model maybe.

I'll take those as reasonable answers...lol

I did have a 2/3 shifting debacle that I think was the root of the evil....THINK.

Told ya so. LOL Just messing kiddo. I'm betting something wasn't setup right in the first places. And BD isn't the only one to use stock clutches. Dave Goerend himself told me 2 years ago that he used stock clutches as well (don't know if that's in all stages of his tranny or just the one that he was gonna build for me but I told him I wanted 600+hp and planned on drag racing a lot so who knows) and they seem to be holding up fine. Make him cover the cost and then start saving up for a real tranny that actually has a good reputation. Such as DTT, Goerend, Suncoast, HTS.

First of all, I wouldn't tell him you were sled pull'n with it! That might void the warranty... It probably doesn't help to hear, but you get what you pay for. The big guys in high performance auto's like Sun Coast and ATS, have boosted line preasures in critical areas and beefed up other parts in areas that these small town mom and pop trans shops probably don't know about. Your truck should be throwing down some good numbers and was most likely destroying itself for a long time and it just wasn't obviouse till the end. When you get your new one get atleast a billet flex plate and a billet input shaft at a minimum, if you haven't done so already.

BD, Goerend and the others use stock clutches. However, the difference is there are more clutches/steels used which results in more holding area.

brandon.