Transmission #3...Why?

Go with a Big name like SunCoast or something. You should find a dealer for SunCoast, ATS, ect in your area or at least close. And yes, stock clutches are pretty good but they are not the best thing you could have. Sometimes you need a thinner clutch that has '0' shear, like an ALTO. MORE clutches = more steel which means you need more room....and there an't no more room sometimes. ;)

FYI...... I'm not sure about how the other Trans folks work but you can call SunCoast (a COMP supporter) and ask who they have in your area.

Last edited:
Maybe there was contamination left from the first transmission failure. I have seen it before. Install a full flow return filter to help keep the system clean.

Malcolm

I don't know where Grass Valley, CA is at, but Mike down at Inglewood Transmissions would be able to hook you up with a trans that will not break! He is known for Allison's but he is a Sun Coast and ATS dealer 310-674-4400.
I have a built/ billet ATS stage four trans in my truck but if I could do over again, I'd go with a Sun Coast. ATS is a huge pain in the arss to deal with. I refuse to put a ATS emblem on my truck. Infact one of my buddies put a sun coast sticker on my truck, when I went to Vegas...

Thank you, thank you...

Yes, I probably made a mistake trusting this build. However, even with him knowing the abuse the truck was going to take, I have a warranty in writing. Straight from his mouth "I'll warranty this transmission for 2 years, up to 600 HP, regardless of what you do with it." That could have been an expensive statement for him....

The issue became a time crunch. I flat refused to miss the J&H Nor Cal Diesel Rally this weekend, so the truck received another new BD T/C, and a new set of clutches and will be back in my hands today. We'll see how it holds up....
Then I'll live with this one 'til I can afford the time and money (yet again) to swap in transmission #4.

I feel your pain. I'm going to Redding this weekend for the pull. Thats a long trip from Ventura... Then Newman on Sunday. Good luck on this trans.

Your problems are like me with clutches. The 4th one is finally holding up! So far... Hey call me sometime too...

somewere they have conversion to put the 5 speed alli behind the 5.9 that should hould you for a while

there is a guy on DTR GABE32 that has kits to put a 5 or 6 speed allison behind a 5.9 he has one in his 2000 and says that it is holding up great this is what he is running in his truck "2000 Dodge 3500 ext. cab longbed sport, converted to single rear wheel, II HRVP44,CATCHER ECM, TST PM3 comp, htt 62/14/S400 twins, DDP 200hp sticks, cam, allison 1000 stage 4 tranny, 315 tires, 4:10 gears,"