Transmission Help!

cumminsman97

Master Wrench Turner
I noticed this evening my tranny started sliping, so i stoped and it was 2 1/2 qrts low on fluid and no leaks to be found. Filled it back up and drove it around some and it seemed fine. Soon as i got out on the highway it would barely get up to 60 it was slipping so bad. I locked the convertor in and at 1/4 throttle it wouldnt even pull its self. So if the convertor is locked and slipping is there any chance my convertor is bad or the clutches? Its a new BD triple disk and the tranny only has about 10k on it since rebuild (47rh). Any sugestions??

who rebuilt it? and do you have a line pressure gauge? make sure the TV cable is still connected

A local shop built it back in Febuary, I do not have a line pressure gauge but im sure i can rig one up. What pressure should it be running at?

175 plus at wot in od with lockup... about 130 or so in other gears ful throttle... that's more performance oriented pressures... if you have your gauge hooked up in drive, with somebody in drivers seat on brake, you should be able to pull tv cable and watch pressure increase.. make sure tv cake is adjusted as stated, if improperly done it can kill trans quick..

I will look into getting a gauge setup in the morning, is there a chance that somthing could have happened to the TV cable under normal driving conditions? It was like a flip of a switch when it happened, one second it was pulling fine and the next it wouldnt hardly pull its self

If they didn't adjust the TV cable right you can brake it.

I checked the tv cable and it seems to be fine and adjusted, is there any chance that the forward clutches could be fried from being 2 1/2 qts low on fluid?

Low fluid can burn up a lot of things. Did you check fluid level in neutral with the motor running on level ground?

I assume this is your 2wd that is having problems. Drop the pan and see how much clutch debris is in the pan, take a picture and post it up.

I added fluid lastnight and drove home, maybe a 10 mile trip. I checked it in neutral this morning and its not even reading on the dip stick and i cant not find any visual leaks, maybe leaking in the transcooler and mixing with antifreeze? I will drop the pan and check it out, may take me a bit to figure out how to post a pic lol

may take me a bit to figure out how to post a pic lol

Start a Photobucket account (free), load pic(s) there, copy direct link from the pic of your choose you loaded on to Photobucket, start a post here, click the mountain icon above post area, paste photobucket picture link, preview post to make sure it works, and boom picture posted.

Well i pulled the pan off this afternoon and found what was left of my new redline clutchs so its gettn pulled and rebuilt again

You have to check it running in gear it will give you a true reading.

Actually, running in neutral and check BOTH sides of the dip stick. Go by the lowest reading! It can be full in the front and low in the back side. Unfortunately, many people only check one side of the dip stick when you should always check both sides.

Pull off your radiator cap and see if the antifreeze is mixed with ATF sludge.

With that much fluid missing, I agree, the heat exchanger under the turbo is probably bad and is mixing the ATF with the engine coolant.

Super low fluid would cause the pump to starve, therefore not enough pressure to apply the clutch packs fully and within a few minutes it probably toasted the forward and direct clutch packs.

Pull off your radiator cap and see if the antifreeze is mixed with ATF sludge.

With that much fluid missing, I agree, the heat exchanger under the turbo is probably bad and is mixing the ATF with the engine coolant.

When i pull my tranny out im going to go threw and check all my lines for wear spots and such so it dont happen again, is there any way to test the cooler? And i found what my main problem was, befor i took the pan off yesterday i sprayed off everything with some parts cleaner and wiped it all down, started the truck and in neutral it was gushing fluid out of the tranny pan from a blown gasket. This must have happened all of a sudden when I was driving home because like stated befor its has never had any leaks.

Last edited:
You can pressure test the cooler by removing the inlet and outlet tranny cooler lines and plugging one port and apply air pressure to the other port with a rubber tipped blow gun and seeing if it will hold 60 psi air pressure.

It is not common for the cooler to fail so if you pull the radiator cap and don't find a coolant/atf milkshake, I wouldn't worry about the cooler, especially after finding the major pan gasket leak.

I wonder if you hit something on the road that wacked the pan and helped to compromise the gasket??

[quote/]

I wonder if you hit something on the road that wacked the pan and helped to compromise the gasket??[/quote]

that's what happened to mine... anyone have a stock pan they wanna give up for super cheap?

I wonder if you hit something on the road that wacked the pan and helped to compromise the gasket??[/QUOTE]

Thats what i thought so i checked it over real good and found no damage to the pan, so i put a new gasket on it and started it back up and its leaking in the exact same spot again. I got another pan from a buddy im gonna stick on and and try it