Transmission line leak

Oaborbag

It's just a 6 cylinder
So for the past month or so I thought I had a power steering line leak, saw red fluid leaking out of a line that I thought was a power steering line. :bang Then yesterday I took my truck out for some wot testing without the TC locked, and it went to about 3k rpm and shifted each gear as it got to the right speed, I was still moving pretty good and the boost gauge was at 40psi, I can hit 51psi with the TC locked, so I thought no big deal. Then I got to thinking that maybe my trans can't handle the power anymore, so did a little bit of searching and thought maybe I'm low on fluid and it is actually my transmission line that is leaking!

So my question is, what is the best way to go about fixing this. The line that is leaking is the one that is toward the drivers side and it is leaking right where the pipe connects to the fitting in front of the engine. I did a quick search and someone posted they cut the pipe short and added some 1/2" fuel line in its place with some hose clamps. This thread I have some fuel line left over from my air dog install so I could go this route, but is it advised? If I should replace the entire line, where can I find them? I have my doubts my local Autozone or O'Reilly's will be able to get it.

Sorry for the long paragraphs, I'm going on a 4 hour trip this weekend, and it is a slow leak, so I'm hoping I can just top of the tranny, bring some extra fluid with me and check it accordingly. Is the ATF+3 what I should use? probably a noob question, but I've always had someone else change my transmission fluid and never bothered to ask what they used. :doh:

I would make up a -8 line using stainless braided and an fittings.

Stainless braided line is great in an ideal world. However, it is a relatively low pressure system and fuel line with barbed fittings and hose clamps is adequate. That line clips into a fitting on a rubber hose that hose clamps onto the trans cooler. I would recommend doing a very thorough job cleaning the line and re-inspect the origin or the leak. It is quite possible that the fitting itself should be replaced as they are prone to failure. I have also seen the lines fail at the cooler itself and have seen the hard lines come loose from their clips and wear holes in themselves. With all that said, if you are trying to add line onto the hard line a hose clamp won't work, it must be barbed so you want to adapt it with a compression fitting. Hope this helps
Sean

So here is the hose connection that is leaking.
IMAG0354.jpg

I was thinking of taking a pipe cutter a few inches back from the connection and cutting that part off and then cutting the rubber hose a few inches from the other side of the fitting. Using a double barbed hose connector to connect the old hose to a new one, then using the two fittings I bought (see picture)
IMAG0357.jpg

on the pipe side to connect the hose to it. Will these fittings work? Looks like the one has a part that goes into the pipe then the compression part goes over and screws onto the end of the pipe, not sure how good of a seal that creates?

The same one on my rig did exactly what yours is doing about 6 or 7 years ago. There didn't seem to be a way to replace the o-ring so I took my cut off tool and carefully cut the metal fitting off. I then just clamped it with a couple of clamps and it has been that way since. Has not leaked.

Dorman makes lines for 2nd gens. Have them on my pickup. Cover them with rubber hose where they rub the clips and be done in a few min. Pretty inexpensive.

The same one on my rig did exactly what yours is doing about 6 or 7 years ago. There didn't seem to be a way to replace the o-ring so I took my cut off tool and carefully cut the metal fitting off. I then just clamped it with a couple of clamps and it has been that way since. Has not leaked.

That's essentially what I ended up doing, the fitting I bought didn't work, I could pull it off by hand, so I ended up cutting off the stock fitting, used a 5" section of fuel hose with a barbed fitting on one end to the stock hose and hose clamp real tight on the other with the metal pipe, its not leaking, so hopefully it holds. I might do something else when I have time. Just not sure what. Thanks for all the help.

I think I have a complete set of the MOPAR lines for the second gen. New in the Box. I can get a part number if your interested.

Id be interested, im also going to look around local if I can find any lines.