transmission problem?

97stroker/yager

just got the new engine installed, it runs fine but when i put it in gear it lugs way down almost like the torque converter is locked all the time. it wont spool the turbo, it's like im hooked to a house or something. no power at all. 98 12v 47rh trans. i did the front kick down band adjustment but havent done the rear. what do you guys think

Who's TC?

You change anything in your P-pump? gov springs or timing?

Can you feel the TC lock-up on a test drive?

its a suncoast converter. the new engine came with the pump. 5k gov spring, 13mm, dual feed, mack rack plug. when i bled the lines i noticed #4 was not putting a load on the engine so i pulled the injectors and pop tested them. they all popped between 3800 and 4000 psi. when i put them back in it did the same thing so i think the pump is the issue.. but do you think that is my problem when putting it in gear? it runs fine when in park or neutral.

Is it a 2361819-3D or 2361844-3D...

You must be down on power.. Miss... Pump problem not a trans problem!

not positive on that. it was in the truck when i bought it. so if i send the pump off and get it fixed you think that will fix my problem?

id adjust govner springs in play with the idle before pulling the pump. What rpm is the truck idleing at. What it do when turn the a/c on in park.

My money's on a governor spring issue.

Mine's dying when I put it in gear idling before it gets warmed up and when warmed up it will die in gear with the A/C on. I adjusted the springs Saturday and it's worse now than before, but the springs are looser than they were. I was afraid they were uneven, so I backed them out flush with the studs then went back in one full turn plus a click.

A friend that builds P-pumps told me to tighten the GS's a click and try it until I got it where I want it and then adjust the idle. My problem is I have to pull the Shut-off solenoid and my APPS to get the cap off. Quite a bit of trouble for "tighten a click then try it".

Last edited:
He also said #4 was not pulling it's weight.. pull #4 injector line off get a jug fire it up for 5 sec. Then try another cly. Compare the fuel level this should tell if your pump is crap.

truck idles at 600 when in park, no a/c. when i put the injectors back in after pop testing them i switched the no. 4 injector with another. still having the same issue on no.4 though. when i crack the line to bleed im getting fuel, i guess just not enough pressure to pop the injector?

#4 injector line/ #4 from pump?

Pull the DV holder off #4 see if DV is installed correct.