Transmission Problems on a 99 Dodge

Dodgecumminsfan

Cummins Lover, Ford Hater
ok, I'm stuck in california and i live in Arizona. I'm stuck because my 99 ram 2500 just had a major problem with its transmission. I was pullin a hill on my way to california and my truck and engine and transmisson were all good. as i got to the top of this hill, and my RPMs were close to 3200 and all of a sudden the engine dropped to idle. i had it floored and it wouldnt move, it was like i was in neutral then it popped back into gear with a loud thud. it did this a few more times on our way to the beach but as we got close to the coast and everything leveled off it stopped doing it. we thought it was low on fluid and it was a bit low but not enough to cause this, so i went to find a NAPA to get some transmission fluid and the truck started to do it again and it wont even pop into 1st gear, i cant even move it from where its parked until i wait like 2 minutes for it to find its gear. does anyone have any idea what it could be???? All the help i could get would be much appreciated. Thx

North of San deigo, Its not the transfer case because my transmission gets really hot when this happens, one of my buddies thought it might be the torque converter, could it be that?????

Possible that the converter is screwing up, but the first thing you should do is pull the pan and change the filter. My daughters' truck started acting up and within six miles it would barely move. All that was wrong was the filter plugged. The tranny only had about 18k miles on it.

Billet con, kevlar bands, clutch discs, and valve body I believe. I'd have to check the receipt to be sure. I have no clue what I have at the flywheel, if I would have to guess I'd say about 500 maybe a little less. The numbers a lot smaller at the wheels though.

i think im gonna pull the pan first and check the filter, if thats not it then i guess its the torque convertor. thanks for the help

My truck did basically the same thing ended up being a plugged up cooler. The one up by the radiator doesnt flow well and can't really be flushed out completely.

alright, i swapped out the transmission filter and it kinda fixed the problem... i think i shredded my transmission driving around, but i think i can make it back home where my transmission guy can do a complete overhaul on my tranny, any suggestions on what i should do to really BEEF it up????
:st:

Go balls out.. It will be better in the long run. Buy your parts from a reputable manufacturer, and make sure your tranny guy is an authorized installer.

Dude same thing happened to me drove all the way home in 3rd gear. Then I hit traffic and that was it TC gone found parts in the pan. Just go all out like I did it's worth the money. How far north of San Diego are you ?

im back now... i was stuck up in carlsbad... my transmission guy has worked for a dodge dealership for 25 years... he was on the mopar drag race team for awhile. so im pretty sure he's qualified.

im back now... i was stuck up in carlsbad... my transmission guy has worked for a dodge dealership for 25 years... he was on the mopar drag race team for awhile. so im pretty sure he's qualified.

Who is your tranny guy I'm here in AZ and need a good tranny guy that knows Diesel trannys.

Bob.