Transmission Temp

chadc

I had a 4r100 competition built transmission put in my truck from redline diesel almost a year ago, ever since it started getting a little warmer out the truck is running 180 temps all the time and around 210 towing maybe 3k, i do not think this is normal but im wondering if its because the truck has 37in tires with the stock 3.73 gears which could put a lot of stress on the transmission, it just seems to want to shift funny (too early, very firm) especially when turned on the hot tune from the crappy bullydog t6 chip. I do have an external cooler but maybe the stock cooler is plugged up because of the metal fragments from when the stock transmission went out. I know they flushed the system tho. I'm just not sure what it could be, my stock transmission (which was rebuilt) ran the same temps but i just thought it was because it was blown. Just need some input on what everybody thinks. The transmission is still under warranty ive just had a hard time getting ahold of karl to look at it.

Last edited:
It shouldnt run that hott I wouldn't think. I would either buy fans for it run another cooler inline with the one you have or buy a 6.0 trans cooler they have morefins. I would also change chips to ts 6position with custom tunes

4rs are notorious for running hot, I'd get a aftermarket cooler along with some custom tunes which will tune the trans also.

What he said. Upgrade the cooler to the 6.0 liter version there much bigger. Or find one thats rated for a 30K GVW truck. The stock cooler IMO is way too small and will overheat when pulling. To much heat and it pukes all the fluid out the front seal hence burning up the tranny. I have been there was out of state with a 20K trailer on my F550. $$$ tow bill back to our shop put a new trans, converter and huge cooler over have over 100k on the new/old build and tow the chit out of it.

Back