Truck died

Fuzzys69

Got Smoke?
My brother in laws, 04 6.0 just died today. we were driving it down the road and it just died. tried to restart it, and it wouldnt start. I let it sit for about 15-20mins and then tried it again. it started right up then sputtered and died(lots of white smoke). What could this be?? i was thinking ICP, but mine just went and i had no smoke.
I just did new head gaskets and stud on it about 2000miles ago. Maybe its a split O-ring on the injectors? I dont have the right key for the scanner so i can use that to find out.(snapon says a week till they can get the right key).
Thanks
Fuzzy

If it restarted when it cooled down it sounds like a high pressure leak. Did the truck idle ok and then when you put it into gear it died? If so it might just barely be getting itself running but using max duty cycle of the ipr valve to overcome the leak. Suspect branch tube. Pull the valve covers and put in the block off tools to isolate the heads. Drivers side first. Then passenger side. Then both in to isolate it to the branch tube.

The white smoke was from the lack of oil pressure to fire the injectors more than likely.

Pull the valve covers and put in the block off tools to isolate the heads. Drivers side first. Then passenger side. Then both in to isolate it to the branch tube?

Whats the block off tools? and im not really sure how to fix this? I can picture what your talking about. Sorry

There are tools that the dealer has. There are tools for 03 and 04-05 and 05-07. But you can put in the updated 05-07 stand pipes in with the seperate check valves. The tool goes in to block off the rails and injectors to isolate where the leak might be. If you don't have the tools and don't know what I'm talking about. Tow it to the dealer.

the truck has 125kmiles on it, and i would rather fix it by myself, maybe i can but the tools

If you have to change the branch tube you are talking about removing the rear injectors. The turbo. HPOP Cover. The transmission. The flexplate and converter. The rear cover of the motor while carefully cutting the gasket on the backside or else you will have a bedplate oil leak that you CAN NOT cure without removing and tearing down the engine again. By all means have at it.

Wow thats alot of work, but doing it myself could save lots of money.

Holy Christ, that labor bill alone would be enough to total the truck LOL

Wow thats alot of work, but doing it myself could save lots of money.

Doing it twice will make you want to put a bullet in your head. Taking it back to someone and saying remember when I paid you to do this correctly? Fix what you didn't do correctly.

So quick to put it for sale. If it is that bad. I'll give you 2k for the truck non running. I'll come and get it also.

Doing it twice will make you want to put a bullet in your head. Taking it back to someone and saying remember when I paid you to do this correctly? Fix what you didn't do correctly.

So quick to put it for sale. If it is that bad. I'll give you 2k for the truck non running. I'll come and get it also.

I will fix it and then sell.:doh:

When you turn the key forward. Do you shut the radio off and stop cussing the motor long enough to listen if the fuel pump is even running? And when its cranking does the motor spin really fast like there isn't really any load in it?

Yes the fuel pump is running. its not my truck to get mad at. its my brother in laws, and he wanted to sell it after we studded it. but i told him not too. b/c i love my 6.0s.
The motor spins normal.

Give it a little GoGo Juice. If it fires and idles until you put it in gear then you more than likely have a high pressure leak. Unplug the ICP and tell me if it spins over any faster.

Could it be the IPR. thats what went in my truck, and it did the samething but i had not smoke.
and i will try starting it tomorrow.
thanks for the help

You would have to be able to look at what the ICP says is going on before you just throw a 150 dollar ipr in it.

maybe ficm. I have seen them act just like this with a bad ficm. I actually had a truck that would run on 4cyl because of a bad ficm. I have also replaced a ficm when the truck would start for a couple sec and die and white smoke like crazy. the truck then would do nothing and then all of a sudden it would pop off for a sec.