Truck Dies After About 20 Minutes - P1693 & P1698 Only

COOTER

Strokin' & Smokin'
Bone stock 98.5 Sport, 4x4, 5 speed, dies after about 20 minutes of run time. Using the scan tool, all I'm picking up is P1693 - DTC Detected In Companion Module ECM/PCM & P1698 - No Bus Message Received From PCM. Is it safe to say the firewall PCM has decided to call it quits, or possibly corroded terminals/bad connection? From my experience this seems to be the culprit. I do not have the truck at the moment, but should be getting it Saturday if I decide to trade my 1st Gen 12V to it? Normally when the injection pump decides to quit, it has these 2 codes, as well as P0216 - Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure; however this particular situation does NOT provide the dreaded P0216, only the 2 communication failure codes. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

Cooter

Decided To Trade For The 2nd Gen...Pretty Sure It's The Firewall PCM...I Can No Longer Communicate w/ The PCM Through The DLC. After The Truck Runs For Roughly 20 Minutes, It Will Shut Down...If You Leave The Key In Run, & Try To Start It, It Will Not Start, But If You Turn The Key All The Way Off, Then Attempt To Start It, She Will Fire Right Back Up & Run Anywhere Between 10 Seconds To 10 Minutes, & Shut Down Again, Which Makes Me Think The PCM Is Resetting When The Key Is Turned Off, Allowing The Truck To Restart. After The Truck Does This, I Place My Hand On The Injection Pump, & It's Ice Cold. When Working At The Dealership, Our Cummins Tech Would Always Check The Temp By Hand, If It Was Hot, It Would Not Start Back For A While, So He Would Run Ice Water Over The Pump, & It Would Fire Right Back Up Until Hot Again, Then Die. This Method Is Unorthodox, But It Never Failed In Ruling Out A Faulty Pump.

Any Thoughts?

I Cleared The DTC's, & Decided To Drive It Around For A While. It Finally Decided To Die, & The CEL Presented Itself Again. I Scanned The Truck & Found The 2 Previously Stated Codes, As Well As P1688 - PCM &/Or Pump Module Failure & P0251 - Rotor/Camshaft Position Pump Module Failure. I Will Be Checking Fuel Pressure Before IP Removal, But Now I'm 100% Certain That The Pump Has Failed.

Replaced The Factory Unit w/ A Stock S.O. Scheid Pump. Truck Runs Like Brand New.

Make sure you have good fuel pressure, get a gauge or low pressure light at least. Don't want to kill that new VP.

That's what mine did. New vp fixed it. But you sure wanna make sure you have fp

I Checked The Fuel Pressure Both Before & After The VP Install, & Found It Was In Factory Specs. I Will Be Installing An AirDog 150 & XDP Sump Tomorrow, So I Don't Think Fuel Should Be An Issue For A While...I Hope...