Truck is leaking out of crank case vent tube, couple drops per day

Mine started to drip just a little when I put the twins on. Didn't worry much about it until my wife said "I don't care what you spend on the truck, as long as it doesn't drip on the driveway". After that, I stuck a small plastic bottle on the vent hose, and replaced the oil filler cap wth a breather. Six months later, the wife is happy and there's only an ounce of oil in the bottle.

what exactly do you mean by oil filler cap?

My 12V is doing the same thing, however I've checked the oil a couple times after I swapped the new-to-me old 98 motor, and it seemed to lose oil somewhere. After I drive about 400 miles, its halfway down the "add oil" line. I add oil to almost the top of the "safe" line, and after another 400 miles, its back down again. Its getting to be a pain to check and top off the oil every time I drive the thing. There is a 5 inch x 5 inch puddle that forms under the truck once I shut the truck off. The stock tappet cover was leaking, so I replaced it with a billet tappet cover with two breather tubes. I'm going to install crankcase breathers/filters on the valve covers. BUT…..I just can't see where I'm losing all this oil from. In one month, I've gone through 12 quarts of oil….. Any help or advice on this?

I read about plugging the vac pump may help this, and having a vacuum leak would compound this problem. Where could I look/do to check this? I think there may be a hose going from the power steering pump to the brake booster?? I'd really like to fix this. Thank you guys

sbcvfco_v1.jpg

This is what I'm thinking of installing into the valve covers (instead of the "dual valve cover" cummins breathers)

Think they will help?

Those little breathers work well, but if your engine has a lot of blow by it will make a mess on the top of the engine. I had one in the oil fill cap of my P710024V along with the stock puke tube extended down past the oil pan and it made a mess of my valve cover. $.02

Those little breathers work well, but if your engine has a lot of blow by it will make a mess on the top of the engine. I had one in the oil fill cap of my P710024V along with the stock puke tube extended down past the oil pan and it made a mess of my valve cover. $.02

So even if I use these to possibly lessen the pressure, oil will/could still come out of them and I would continue to lose oil like I am now? I'm looking to not have to top the oil off every time I drive. When the motor is running and I take the oil fill cap off, theres just a little bit of smoke. No smoke out of the two tappet cover breather tubes….

If your losing or using that much oil in that short of a period of time, I'd be willing to bet you have bigger issues... But it all depends on boost/driving characteristics/engine condition too...

My little vent/filter deal got satuarated with oil in about a week and then just made a mess. If I were to do it again, I would send all my CCV's to a vented catch can that was pulmbed back into the oil system again.

Any idea on the mileage of the new-to-you engine?

about 100,000 miles. It came out of a delivery truck. I'm starting to think the rings might be getting bad….I really don't want to have to do a rebuild now….. If I put a breather in each valve cover, would it help? I don't mind the slight oil drip after I turn the truck off or it sits…..but I really don't want to have to add oil all the time. It looks kinda odd, but here's a picture of my valve covers. I added the "cap" to the top to add clearance for the head studs. I was thinking of drilling a half inch hole in the top of the cap, and then put that breather/filter over the cap. One on each valve cover. Thoughts? (yes, I know the welds look like sh!t. I did not do them)

IMG_1777-1.jpg

IMG_1781-1.jpg

The only thing that would make me nervous about a delivery truck engine is the constant on and off operation. Ever see your local UPS guy delivering the goods? 200ft full throttle run, turn truck off, two mile run, turn the truck off...with no cool down period what so ever. I'm no engine genius, but I can't image that could be good for the oil or turbo or engine in general. Coked oil is a turbos worst nightmare, I'm sure it's not good for rings or cam/rod/main bearings either.

Again, I don't know everything. But I'd like to think I do...

Last edited:
Do you think if I did put those 6 breathers in as mentioned, that I would just be making 6 more spots for oil to cover my engine from? or could those 6 small vent points help in the pressure release and therefore, not as much oil blowby?

That's normal for the minimal smoke from the fill tube. Breather tubes from the covers would help a lot, but you probably don't need six. Just add them on 1,3,6 and that should be plenty.

That's normal for the minimal smoke from the fill tube. Breather tubes from the covers would help a lot, but you probably don't need six. Just add them on 1,3,6 and that should be plenty.

Those caps on the valve covers are 1 inch OD and a little over 3/4" ID (when the top flat part of the cap is removed). Should I just drill a 1/4" or 1/2" hole in the cap so as to maybe not let as much oil "sneak out" of the filter, but still allow pressure to escape? or just whack the whole top off and have a one inch opening at the top? (In your opinion)

sbcvfco_v1.jpg

This is what I'm thinking of installing into the valve covers (instead of the "dual valve cover" cummins breathers)

Think they will help?

Those won't help. The don't have a separator in them. I did that once and it just blew oil over the top of my engine instead of the bottom of the truck......

Sent from my paperweight.

I'd drill and tap 1/2" holes into 1,3,6. Then I'd thread in brass elbows into each hole with a hose barb on the top end. Plumb all hoses into a vented catch can.

I was hoping the pressure that could escape from them could help in not allowing the oil to come out of every ccv I have…..What would you recommend? I tried to find some with baffles, no luck. I'm looking for something that doesn't require welding, and I think those "dual valve covers" wont fit over my head studs (as they stick up just a bit, hence the need for the "caps" I had welded on to the valve covers). Do they make vents like I have pictured above, but enclosed and with hoses coming from them? I don't care if the bottom of the truck gets a bit oily, I just don't want to add oil every dang time….

I'd drill and tap 1/2" holes into 1,3,6. Then I'd thread in brass elbows into each hole with a hose barb on the top end. Plumb all hoses into a vented catch can.

Looking at my current set-up, where would you tap the brass elbow on the valve cover? on the "cap" or on the exhaust side somewhere? I just don't want to interfere with any part of the valvetrain

I was hoping the pressure that could escape from them could help in not allowing the oil to come out of every ccv I have…..What would you recommend? I tried to find some with baffles, no luck. I'm looking for something that doesn't require welding, and I think those "dual valve covers" wont fit over my head studs (as they stick up just a bit, hence the need for the "caps" I had welded on to the valve covers). Do they make vents like I have pictured above, but enclosed and with hoses coming from them? I don't care if the bottom of the truck gets a bit oily, I just don't want to add oil every dang time….

Yes, just go to O'Reillys and they should have some in Mr. Gasket brand

I am running 2 of them, they slip in 1" hose and breath into 3/4"