Truck just didn't wanna start this morning..

1SickHarley

Torque Monger
Well, it was pretty cold this a.m. for Florida. It got down to 32 and went to start my truck and it would turn over, start, then shut off. Everytime it would start it would just chug and shut off. I've had the new re-flash done which cured it at 45 degree temps. I about wore down my batts. trying to start it. I had to keep the key on and turning the starter over to get it to run. The batts. went down too much to keep the plugs lit I guess. I waited about a min. or so and let the batts. "come back up" and finally got it to fire off. Truck ran fine at idle after. I was expecting the chug chug chug but nope. I'm confused. This is the third time it's done this but not as many shut offs. When it did this last week, it only took 3 tries to crank it. This a.m. it took about 18 tries. How long do the factory batts. last? I've got 69K on the clock now. My 01 7.3 batts last till 98K.
I can't imagine them being gone already. I have run the batts. so low I had to jump it partying in the cul-de-cac with my neighbors from my stereo a couple of times last month. Do you think the batts. haven't recovered? I drove the truck about 10 miles after getting it started this a.m. and came home, shut it off and it fired right up no probs. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

my truck does the same thing every day but I live in a much colder climate, 32 would be a shorts and t-shirt day. i have near the same miliage(68,000) and am just starting to have problems with the batts. Several people have told me that I have a"lazy" injector or two. I took it into the dealer to sit overnight so they could experiance the cold starting but the batts died befrore they could diagnose it. the batts have been tested and they are good. i'm extrememly confused.

maybe 1 dead battery draining the second see this problem several time on big rigs hope it could help

Well, the truck turned over ok. I think they died after trying to crank it 18 or so times. But, the main concern is... why did the truck fire off then shut off? Fuel filter were done about 6K ago so I don't think that's it. It's only done it when the temps have been below about 45 or so. It's only done this 3 times and it was cold(well, what us Floridians call cold). Below 45ish. This a.m. was the coldest it's been all winter. Tomorrow a.m. it's supposed to be about 28ish. I don't even think I have a plug on my truck. I don't think Fla. dealers even order it. I think I need to buy the plug. I hate the cold!!

that's wierd. almost sounds like it is gelling but that shouldn't happen till it is quite a bit colder than 30 (usually around 0 degrees)

That does not sound right! Even for a Ford 6.0!

My Dodge has not been plugged in once, and has always started below 0 with one cycle of the grids, though two cycles smoothes it out, and high idle kicks in :rockwoot:

Do you think it had something to do with the reflash?

Nick

My truck had running issues during cold(above 45ish to even 60) until I had the reflash. The next moring after the reflash the truck was like a whole new truck. Used to take forever to warm up, once it did it was just fine. Now that it way colder, starting issues. not running issues. Urrrgghhh... where's the warmth?

mine did the same exact thing yesterday. fired up fine Sunday. Monday morning, clicked the remote start, no response. So, went out to do it with the key, CLICK CLICK CLICK. nothing. battery was GONE. Yukon didn't have the power to get it going so took my son to school in the Yukon and picked up a new 300 amp charger. Fired up on first attempt but last night I plugged it in, block heater, and it fired up killer this morning. I'll say that I don't normally have trouble getting it started in cold weather but maybe it's time to upgrade batteries.

Well, I figured it out. It's my SCT. Last night was colder than the night before, so I put the truck back to stock and this a.m. it fired up like a champ. I've heard of SCT's needing some cold start tuning so it looks like I'm going to call Eric and see what he can do for me. I never would have thought that it would have been the programming, but, it proved itself this morning. So, to everyone who has an SCT and has cold weather starting probs., there's an easy cure. A simple little reprogram.

It has to be the batts, mine fired right up this morning and it was 11 degrees here.