truck keeps cracking nv4500 case

Randiesel96

Fri Lyfe
As stated above. Truck is a 98 1/2 24 valve that keeps cracking the nv4500 in the same spot. s300 style turbo, 150hp injectors, smarty. big single disk looks like a valair.

Story is friend of mine traded a dmax for this dime in ohio, up by Dayton. Not even halfway home the transfer case exploded in half, cruising on the interstate. So I put a case in it. A month or so later started to leak tranny fluid from the bell housing. Pulled it to find a crack starting at the top cover, continuing down about 3'', to the rear of the upper mounting. Bought a core chevy nv with a good case. Andrew sauer at sauer implement swapped the internals and did a full rebuild. I got the truck together drove it fri - sunday. sat all week and then Friday- sat of this week. This case is now hair line cracked on the right hand side by the upper mounting ear all the way down to the underside by the side cover.

Sorry for the long post, but what would cause this? Besides a genius driver..

are motor and tranny mounts good? are the trans and engine on the same centerline? are driveshafts balanced and ujoints good?

Told him to wiggle the drive shaft. The "unbalanced tire" vibration is a carrier bearing.

How about the transmission mount and motor mounts? I will be heading up your way in the next day or two. I haven't heard about another case yet.

Similar issues happened to me years ago I replaced the pinion yoke slip yoke and rebalanced the drive shaft I have not had the problem again

Sounds like the drive shaft is out of wack. a small dent in ds can make it crack the case

I killed a NP205 because of a bad DS vibration .... killed the bearings ....... was amazed at the carnage of that much metal.....