Truck misses when cold

rollincoal444

Truck runs rough when its cold. Even after oppertating temp it will run rough for a few. when the engin is at opp temp I can floor it and clear it out and be fine until the engin cools down.

Any thoughts?

I have the same issue with my truck, I believe its due to the Tune i'm running and the cold weather

Mine doesn't care about what tune I am in or what the weather is like. It started in Fl and is still doin it in Tn. Alot of people are telling me "injectors" now I just need to get a buzz and contribution test done. Unless someone else has other thought.

The 99s had alot of issues with injector o-ring packs. It doesn't seal the oil and it can't fire all the way. Sometimes you can pull it out and re-oring it. I think the kits are like 20 dollars each.

Would it be worth the time to try? Why would the 99's be diffrent from the rest? These aren't the factory injectors. They only have 22k on them and are about a year old almost to the day.

How would you properly diagnose o-rings? Wouldn't it run like crap regardless of temp?

Normally when it warms up the seals swell a little and seal better. 99s and 00s just seemed to have more problems with them. Thats way back when I was at the dealer.

Being worth your time... Deppends on how fast you work. Have you identified the cylinder giving you the problem?

I'm not worried about "how much time" it takes as opposed to the effort compaired to resultes.

Heres what I have identified ...... My truck runs like SH*T until its warm for a few.

No relevent codes just a 0603 from the chip.

The oil is about 5k old. I know its time to change. I thought about it. But I have accidently gone a tiny bit longer than this between an oil change (only once) and it didn't do this. But as soon as I get some money, I plan on changing the oil.

PS.... Off topic, but its my thread so here goesn... why don't I see my sig on my posts? Can you guys see it?

hey rollincoal444

i had the exact same problem with my truck. my question to you is how many miles you have on the truck?

mine started to do this when it had 150,000 miles on it. they say the injectors last 140,000, so i drove it like this for a long time and i used to plug my heater in and that worked good.

but to fix this problem permantley is to buy a new set of injectors.

i bought some DDPs stage 2 singles and it was like having a new truck.

hope this helps.

on average injectors are usely good for about 140,000? my truck just flipped 140,000 and it seems that it has started running rough lately. i've noticed that it does it more when i'm low on fuel. fill it up and runs smoother, could this be injectors, bad fuel? it's been doing this for a couple weeks now.

on average injectors are usely good for about 140,000? my truck just flipped 140,000 and it seems that it has started running rough lately. i've noticed that it does it more when i'm low on fuel. fill it up and runs smoother, could this be injectors, bad fuel? it's been doing this for a couple weeks now.

That reminds me of ashort story:

I did my stix cux ford scanned the truck and told me that 3 of my injectors were bad. So I took a loan out and bought stg 2 singles for the ol tractor. It turned out that the bad fuel I had at one piont had a floater that got stuck in the bypass hole in the fuel pick up and caused air to get in the system and thats why ford saif I had 3 injectors the weren't flowing.

On the pick up tube there is a bypass hole with a diaphram that allows fuel to be picked up even if the screen gets clogged.

Sorry about the pointless story everyone I've beeen :chug: .
:Cheer:

There is also two screens inside that diaphram. So if your sending unit pickup is clogged there is an excellent chance that those screens are clogged also. Pull your bed up and remove your sending unit. Pull the entire unit apart and check all the components for clogs. My truck was running like chit and violently shaking when I would reach highway speeds. JJeepyjohn and myself pulled the tank and unit and cleaned it. We didnt know about the hidden screens till later when it started acting up again. Pulled it back out and cleaned the whole unit tore down and she ran like a top again.

If the pickup is restricted it will suck air through the bypass when the tank gets low. Fuel pressure gauge would go a long way to diagnose this properly.

Hopefully that helps everyone else with this problem, but I did away with the factory pickup tube. The fuel level has no effect. And it only does this after it sits a while. I opened the bowl drain valve while it was running like crap and there was plenty of pressure built up behind it.

rollincoal444- did it start running this way w/ your stock sticks? or did it start with your stage 2 DDP's?

wat kind of tuner are you running?