Truck Problems

DieselDreamerDM

it a 95 12v with a 47rh
currently with full cuts and 5x 18's, no plate gutted afc
finally got the truck to idle and behave some what proper.
Then i tired to put it into gear(drive or reverse) = motor dies,
if you feed it throttle it will run, but it will take off(will not run in gear sitting still).
from the seat of my pants it feel as if the TC is locked up all the time.
wondering if anyone had suggestions as to where to start hunting down possible problems... such as wireing, bad converter, or just something else that could be the problem.
Before the work was done to the truck, it was stock and it has 265,000. the trans was claimed to be rebuild 15k ago, when i test drove it everything shifted firm and fine, didin't change any trans parts and now this problem has occured.
Thanks for the Help

wish it was that simple, gauge says 1000 sounds like 800 to me. once im driving it in 4 lo and try to turn, the grab of all the tire is enough to kill it if i dont give it throttle even though i was above say 1000 before i turned.
originally i tried to hunt down the TC wire that would be used to make a lock up switch, to see if there was an issue there but i don't know what wire that is and if that would help to cut it? to break the circuit so the converter wont lock? definently not to low of an idle, was either dieing or squeling the tires when i was putting it in to gear then i lowered the idle no change
Thanks any other ideas

What gov springs are in it? I got my pump back from the shop with 5k's in it, got it to idle, but any load without throttle would kill it. Your symptoms sound just like mine.

4 GSk
buddy put them in hes done probably 30 or more with no problem, since install i turned them one click out, to see if that would help.
what did you do to fix yours?
Thanks for the help

Haven't fixed it yet, gonna go pull everything out tomorrow and hopefully get it running right. If I succeed, I will update.

good luck, im not going to have time to work on mine till this weekend. how many miles is on your pump? im wondering if it isn't just worn out, its got 265xxx . before i didn anything it was stock and if you would rev it quickly it would studder. i advanced the timing and it doesn't do it now if you go somewhat slow reving.

Mine was a fresh rebuild. I pulled the springs out, and the idle spring shims was only .010 instead of .020". So I put it back to .020". Still not where I want it though, gonna try another .010" and see if its better.

good luck. think im going to throw the stock springs back in it and see if it fixes it self, then ill go back to the 4k if theres np other problem

If you give your truck a little throttle and hold the brakes so it doesn't move, will it stay running when you put it in gear?

If the torque converter was locked full time, it would act just like a manual transmission vehicle with the clutch engaged and in gear... meaning, if you stop, the motor will die regardless of how much throttle input you give it.

well when i tried to hold brakes and give it little throttle it would blow throw brakes, or i wouldn't give it enugh throttle and it would dies. and no once i was driving and slowed down the motor would die, it would not sit and idle

Update.
Backed the 4gsk all the way lose, then tightned once click after the first click on each side.
Still no idle in gear.
plans are to put stock gsk in tomorrow. Tate did you get yours fixed yet?

Its close, gonna play with it more on Saturday. Its very drivable, just can't let out the clutch too quick in second or it will still kill the truck. I added .024" shims under the idle srpings, and I think I have about 7 clicks on the springs. Instructions call for .020" shims (I have total of .036" now) and five clicks.

im no mechanic but would the kickdown linkage have anything to do with this? Maby something got knocked off???? no mechanic just a fitter!!!

when minew was down this... it ended up being that the studs were bent, and one of the gov weights inside the pump was ripped almost completely off... it was just floppin around in there.... some retard dropped a nut or bolt and it finally got caught and went kaboom..... wasn't me, previous owner... ended up being that the bolt that adjusts the gov arm height sumhow backed all the way out and fell inside.....

yeah i have this feeling that it might be the pumps old age. but it ran fine before i added parts and everything was done by experienced mechanics. hoping to have time to put stock springs in on sunday and see what happens, Thanks everybody

so you are having 2 problems i would try to hunt your tc problem first before you brake your input shaft unplug your plug that goes on top of the valve body and see what hapens if that does not do much for you than you have a internal trans issue or bad tc hope this info helps you out

cumminslow,
does this sound like tc problem, it ran fine stock, never moved since turned up maybe 450hp now, sat for 2months while work was done ran in park for warm up so the head studs could be retorqued, and then the next time it wouldn't run in gear?
Can the converter go bad in park? just wondering.

Figured out my problem tonight. My buddy never put the fourth spring in. couldn't tell with the retainer on. all i did was add the largest spring go one click and then 2 more. idleing at 500 in gear and took it for a quick drive.
Good luck everybody and thanks a lot.