Truck runs terrible, help

Oaborbag

It's just a 6 cylinder
Need help diagnosing my truck, during lunch my truck ran normal, turned it off went back to work. When leaving work I started it up and it idled not normal, the rpms were going up and down periodically. When I started to drive it, the VP was noticeably louder, and the truck has the dead pedal feel.

I got home and thought it was my apps, so I try to adjust it, first reading is .55, the apps says .624, no matter which way I turn the apps, (forward or backward) I get the same .53-.55 reading. I put everything back together, got a code P216, cleared it started the truck up and idled the same, a little rough, put it in gear and the rpms went real low and then normal again. backed the truck up put it in drive and it died. Started it back up, went for a little drive, VP still noticeably louder.

What could be the problem? Bad apps? Bad VP?( Hopefully not) I'm a little stumped on what's wrong, since the truck ran normal 5 hours before the problem, and it didn't move before the problem arose.

Thanks.

They go seemingly without warning, especially if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge to keeps tabs on what the pressure has been.

have a gauge, and it was reading, and still reads about 20psi, so it wasn't starved. Guess it's time to order a vp....

I guess my only question for myself is do I want to pay the extra money for a hot rod vp

Last edited:
Well the 216 code is the death code for the VP. Why it went I guess is a mystery. Unless you plan on having a truck with some serious hp the regular VP will do just fine.

An SO VP will make just as much power as a hrvp and you wont have to deal with that blasted loping idle.

An SO VP will make just as much power as a hrvp and you wont have to deal with that blasted loping idle.

Agreed, i would get an SO pump over a hotrod if it were me(and it has been in the past).

The electronics on the vp are known to fail without warning. I had one just die 10 seconds after starting the truck, never to start again and another that did just what your describing.

Dont have that problem now though

Thanks for the replies, I ordered a SO VP and it's here, so I'll put it in this weekend and hopefully have my truck running normal. I guess it was weak for a while, I couldn't push over 30psi for a few months now, I just thought it was an unadjusted APPS, then this happened, maybe it was just a weak VP.

Well this will be VP number 3, hopefully it lasts a while.

Thanks for the replies btw, when I first heard the sound I had a feeling it was the VP, just hoping it wasn't.

Last edited: