Truck Sputters....

Frans96ss

lately my truck has been sputtering or almost feels like its miss fireing.... what could cause this? it hasnt always done it and it has to be 100% warmed up for it to not nearly do it as bad and wont stop doing it for alittle while after its warm..... it only does it when im on it obvisouly but i dont think it has always done it..... my guess is maybe injectors?

when is the last time you changed the fuel filters and what type of oil are you running?
does it do it with no tune?
Which tune is loaded if any when it happens?

Yup, sounds like the injectors to me. But another questions, have you checked underneath and see if you might be leaking oil. Early this year mine had a weird idle and come to find out the idle position controller sensor along with the rear main seal and the front crank seal were all leaking oil. It would sometimes do this driving down the road as well. I would check that out also.

Abrannan19 said:
when is the last time you changed the fuel filters and what type of oil are you running?
does it do it with no tune?
Which tune is loaded if any when it happens?

just changed the filters the other day... and i run mobil 1 synthetic in it.... dj did the tune and it does it on both the tow and the looney and i think the street also..... basically all the ones ive used......i didnt try it stock..... it seems it has progressivly getting worse.......it has to be 100% warmed up and i kinda have to get on it a few times for it to not do it anymore.... how much are injectors and what are the best.... and how hard are they to install?

unload the tune..JUST TO TRY IT..its doubtful thats the problem..but just try it..if it continues,leave the tune out and take it to the shop. If they replace anything if you aren't over 100K all you have to pay is a 100 deductible.

Abrannan19 said:
unload the tune..JUST TO TRY IT..its doubtful thats the problem..but just try it..if it continues,leave the tune out and take it to the shop. If they replace anything if you aren't over 100K all you have to pay is a 100 deductible.

the truck only has like 56k on it.....i didnt know that stuff was warrenty....

sound egr related...sputtering under load, erratic boost (jumping
even under steady throttle) and puffing light black smoke
when it sputters....egt temps are probably a little higher (100* or so
over what you typically see).

sometimes it takes a load/trailer for the problem to even be seen/noticed...
i could unhook my trailer and it the problem would go away.

the only real way to know/tell whats going on is to scan for codes.

as a test: w/ the engine off/key off, unplug the egr valve then
start the truck and drive it...see if it continues.

the truck has a 5yr/100k ($100 buck deductible) warranty on
the ENGINE

in 06 (i think) they went to a 5/100 ($100 deduct) DRIVE TRAIN
warranty (which now includes the engine/tranny/transfer case & diffs)

bushpilot said:
sound egr related...sputtering under load, erratic boost (jumping
even under steady throttle) and puffing light black smoke
when it sputters....egt temps are probably a little higher (100* or so
over what you typically see).

sometimes it takes a load/trailer for the problem to even be seen/noticed...
i could unhook my trailer and it the problem would go away.

the only real way to know/tell whats going on is to scan for codes.

as a test: w/ the engine off/key off, unplug the egr valve then
start the truck and drive it...see if it continues.

the truck has a 5yr/100k ($100 buck deductible) warranty on
the ENGINE

in 06 (i think) they went to a 5/100 ($100 deduct) DRIVE TRAIN
warranty (which now includes the engine/tranny/transfer case & diffs)

ill try returning it to stock..... im pretty sure dj shut off my egr though... woudl that still make it do it? ill return the truck to stock and see what happens....

Abrannan19 said:
its never totally off..its still cycles @ 10%..but take it to the shop..

well ide like to just get an idea before b/c i usually do all my own work and hate taking my truck anywhere...... i have a freind who works on 6.0's at a dealer so ill see when he is free...

bushpilot said:
disconnect the egr <electrical connection> and see if the
problem goes away

ok i unplugged the EGR and it seems it isnt quite as dramatic but the problem is deff still there..... it seems to be real bad like if im at 40-50 and the conveter is locked and i apply a load to it the truck kinda starts to shake.... any one have any suggestions

Check oil right away!!!! If the oil level has gone up, your leaking fuel from bad injectors into your crankcase and ruining the engine each time you drive it.
Hows your fuel milage since this started, if its gone down, thats another sign of leaking injectors.

Pull codes.

Last edited:
Frans96ss said:
how much are injectors and what are the best.... and how hard are they to install?
Depending on location, they will cost you around 230 from Ford. Theres only one injector available from what i have found. If you want performance injectors, you have to buy them from Ford and then send them to someone to modify.
They aren't hard to change, but you need to diagnose this first. May have to take it to a dealer for a proper diagnosis.

CHenry said:
Check oil right away!!!! If the oil level has gone up, your leaking fuel from bad injectors into your crankcase and ruining the engine each time you drive it.
Hows your fuel milage since this started, if its gone down, thats another sign of leaking injectors.

Pull codes.

my fuel economy i thought has always been pretty bad.... it gets about 12.8 no matter what tune i run and about 12.5 towing something.... my step dad has an 04 excursion and he gets about 14.5... im sure i beat on my truck alittle more than him but i think 12.5 is pretty ****ty...... i checked my oil its right at the top of the plastic thing so i guess thats normal....

okay, rule out leaking injectors but keep an eye on that oil level fer a little while just to be safe.
Pull codes and get back to us on what you find.

CHenry said:
okay, rule out leaking injectors but keep an eye on that oil level fer a little while just to be safe.
Pull codes and get back to us on what you find.

i just went and tried to pull the dtc's with my sct and i have none....