Truck Sputters....

Thats odd... but i don't trust these tuners to pull codes like i do a scanner they use at Ford.
Did you put it back to stock first? If so, it will probably erase dtcs durring the programming.

CHenry said:
Thats odd... but i don't trust these tuners to pull codes like i do a scanner they use at Ford.
Did you put it back to stock first? If so, it will probably erase dtcs durring the programming.

no i havent tried putting it back to stock yet..... and i appreciate your help by the way....

No problem, its kinda interesting because i have a mysterious sputter also. Mine is a rough idle only though and it doesn't do it all the time. So i have been geared to thinking in this diresction for the last few days myself. I have had injectors fail and leak filling my crank case with an extra 10 quarts of diesel...yes an "extra 10 quarts"...so i know what to look for there and it sounds like thats not your problem but you should have a code showing cyl. balance/contribution error if you have a lazy injector firing week.

well i took it to my buddy who works on ford diesels and it had a vgt code... so i bought a new sensor and we also reprogramed it.... has anyone had there vgt go bad before? if so what was it doing?

anyone? and also afte rhe reprogramed it it seems like its fine now....but why would it all of the sudden start then stop after just a reprogram? i didnt change the sensor yet....

Frans96ss said:
anyone? and also afte rhe reprogramed it it seems like its fine now....but why would it all of the sudden start then stop after just a reprogram? i didnt change the sensor yet....

fwiw its not a sensor...its a solenoid (aka actuator)...and these
things are mechanical so they wear out and are subject to
quality manufacturing issues.

as for why its all of a sudden stopped w/out you having replaced
anything YET....id say youve got an intermittent issue...thats why
it suddenly went away....either that or the problem has been
mis-diagnosed.

if i had to bet i'd say the vgt solenoid probably isnt bad...rather
the unison ring that actuates the VGT vanes is probably sticking...

also its helpful to know that there are dependencies between
devices (vgt, egr, ebpv to name a few...related to the turbo and
the vgt operation)...a device upstream or downstream
that can effect the operation of other devices...

as an example a malfunctioning egr valve can cause improper operation
of the vgt soleniod...

Most of the time you can get a EGR code for excessive flow and then the turbo performance codes. Basically you get a turbo that is stuck so it blows the EGR open and the PCM can't control the turbo to do what it wants. So it sets both codes. If the EGR was open at idle the truck will normally get rather quiet.

As far as the injector idea.... Since you reflashed it, you got the new FICM flash that performs inductive heating of the spool valves in the injectors which helps them warm up faster. Since the cold spool valve does not move freely to allow oil in to actuate the injector it doesn't want to fire cold. You could try taking a couple of quarts of oil out of the motor and add in some transmission fluid for its "cleaning" property. Let the truck idle for 20-30 minutes to try to clean out the bores.

The next thing would be if the truck is dying when you are "on it" then it might be hitting the pressure limiter in the high pressure system.

ok, i know this thread is really old, but my 04 is now doing this same thing as well.. it started this after i installed a dfuser.. i have driven it with the dfuser, and without, and still the truck acts like Frans96ss was.. is this a solenoid issue? i have had my EGR valve unplugged for awhile now as well.. also, what would happen if i unplugged the VGT solenoid?

Back