Truck surges while driving

THEGREATWHITE01

My truck surges while I am driving during normal daily driving. The truck has 198k and idk if the vp has ever been changed. I know I have not changed it. What I'm asking is could my FASS be going out or could it be the vp or something completely different. I have no idea what the pressure is because I have not ordered a fp gauge yet sorry. Also it is having a hard start after it sits for 8 hours but not over night. Any ideas about that one?

APPS is going bad. my 01 did the same thing till i changed it. Is it a very faint but noticable surge?

Last edited:
Wouldn't explain the hard start when cold though. Sounds like a VP to me. Pull the fuse on the FASS and try starting the truck after its been sitting. If it starts easier then its the VP.

My truck WOULD NOT pull fuel through the FASS.

I couldn't even get the thing to idle.

They may be separate issues.. The surging is a classic APPS sign. Is your truck an 01 or an 01.5? If it is the 01.5, what happens when you set the cruise? That is a really easy way to check the APPS on 01.5/02 trucks.

Have you pulled any codes?

DISTURBED APPS is going bad. my 01 did the same thing till i changed it. Is it a very faint but noticable surge?

Yes very faint but noticable. What is the APPS? I've never heard of it.

When I set the cruise it seems to drive fine at a steady speed but I ver regularly set the cruise. When I do it seems to drive fine.

When I pull the fuse if it starts easier then it's the vp? Or would it be the fass?

I've done some research and found out what the apps is and they say that u can reset it. Do you think I should try that first and go from there or do something different?

my truck was having the same problem with the surging and it was a ground issue.... one little wire on the driver side of the block down by the the starter... i sanded it down bolted it back up and never had a problem since... its something free to try

Could someone enlighten me about adjusting the APPS. Mine surges a little but the main problem is (bare with me) while driving at around 58-60 and starting up a hill it fills like it quits pulling and will drop back to 48 or so. I hold my foot exactly the same no more or no less on the petal, I can give it just a little more and it will pick back up and be fine. My truck does have a problem about eating TPS's quite regular. Could this be something with the APPS?

I've done some research and found out what the apps is and they say that u can reset it. Do you think I should try that first and go from there or do something different?

You can reset it but i highly doubt its going to fix it. Dont get one from cummins they are like $400 and you get the entire assembly but all you need is the sensor. Do a search on here for them and you can find a good used one for around $100 or there are some outfits you can get the sensor new for around $150

The APPS is usually what everyone blames. I did the re-calibration of mine. No dice. Usually, the VP will throw codes when it chits out, but mine didn't. It would surge while maintaing speeds but run fine at idle or heavy pedal. APPS doesn't explain your hard start. Everything I've read about trucks surging...including my own...have been two weeks of screwing with everything then bitin' the bullet and putting on a new VP to find out it was bad the whole time. I hope for your wallets sake that's not it. $.02

Thanks guys. I'll have to see bout that ground wire tomorrow when I get a chance. I'll try and ask the apps tomorrow also and we will see what happens on the way home from work. Honest opinions... Does everyone think it will end up being the vp? Just need to now so I can start saving $$$$ now.

Check ALL grounds. The one above the starter is the ECM ground.
The drivers side battery ground is on the front of the motor, above the oil pan the the right of the harmonic balancer. The pass side is easy to find.
It wouldnt hurt to clean your MAP and IAT sensors while your at it.
Maybe an ECM reset might help???
Just ideas here.