truck wont start! (did a search)

how hard is it to get at the ipr? where the heck is it located? and what do i do to check it? sorry guys I am not a dumarse just new to wrenching on a 6.0! i w rench on all my stuff and wanna learn how to work on this engine too! lol

Think would they have replaced the cam and crank sensor when they put a new shortblock in? i have a feeling it may be ficm so im gonna check other stuff thats cheaper than the deductable and then just have dealer fix it if its ficm. warranty will be up soon so maybe i should be looking into that autoeginutity(sp?) software. is there anybody who sells it cheap or manufacturer only??

dieselsite.com sales it for like $350 it''s just software you install on your laptop and will let you connect to the obd2 port and will let you monitor and test a bunch of parameters including a buzz test for the injectors wich would tell you if the ficm is bad. where are you located? someone may be kind enough to scan your truck for you.

Last edited:
how hard is it to get at the ipr? where the heck is it located? and what do i do to check it? sorry guys I am not a dumarse just new to wrenching on a 6.0! i w rench on all my stuff and wanna learn how to work on this engine too! lol

the IPR os a brass looking sensor and is located on the side of the HPOP which is under the turbo. it will be right next to your ICP sensor or you have a newer engine and the ICP will be on the passenger side valve cover. here is a pic of both IPR and ICP

Page 42: Fuel Management System

Mine done the same thing a month ago. it cranked fine and I went to lunch. We tried to start it after eating and all it would do is spin. It ended up being the high pressure oring. I could start it with a little shot of either though. You might try that so you can drive it to the dealer. It ran fine after it started. If the batteries are weak it will cause it not to start too. My Dads truck would spin over ok but did not have enough power to operate the computer.

unplug one of your injector cables, and take you multimeter and test across 1 and 3 on the harness with the key on, and you should get 23 volts. thats a little easier than pullin the ficm apart..

ok ill check ficm using the easier method! and the tach is not moving when its cranking over, so it maybe the camshaft sensor! anybody got the international part number for that?? I am around tampa,fl area. truck is in valrico. I would prefer to just fix it if its something simple like that sensor, but I will try the ether method tmrw too just to make sure. If tthe ficm is bad would tach work?? thanks for all the help guys!! I'm at work having my brother troubleshoot across the county for me, so this really helps me out!

The tach is not driven by the FICM. The Cam Sensor drives the tach. If it aint movin, the cam sensor most likely died. If you want to get creative and further your 6.0 learning curve, being that the cam sensor is self inductive (hall effect), meaning it produces its own voltage output while the engine is cranking...you could put a meter to pins 31 and 43 of the J1-C2 PCM plug (disconnect plug from PCM - PCM is mounted outboard of drivers side battery and has 3 plug connectors) and have someone crank the engine over and check for voltage output of cam sensor. Have fun, its right behind the powersteering pump on drivers side of block. But heh, at least its easier to get to than the crank sensor! :pop:

Last edited:
is that sensor easy to replace? I need a international part number for it and ill swap it in the am.

NOPE.........

Its a ***** to replace....Behind the a/c compressor, passenger side front of engine. Have fun, if its the crank sensor, cam sensor isnt so bad. Look at the post above your last one for the location.

lol thanks for your help, I looked for the cam sensor under the truck but couldn't find it just looking around. where the hell is it actually at? any pics?

wow that was probbaly staring me in the face, i was looking more to the front of the engine! dealer had to order it anyways, so i would have been without a truck regardless, but thanks for the info! i will know what to do next time!!

Back