trying to get my engine to its home

bluelineranch

What is the trick for putting the engine into my pickup? When I pulled it out I took the push rods and rockers out and also had to unbolt the motor mounts from the block. Putting it in has been a nightmare, first 3 times I tried sbc sent me the wrong clutch disks so the input shaft was too large for the clutches, my bad. I tried for the 4th time with new clutches tonight and still, nothing will line up. Do I need to lift the cab or completely remove the tranny? Im working on dirt so dropping the tranny wont be fun but if I have to I will. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
thanks,
Cody

I am guessing you are talking about putting in a completely assembled motor? oil pan to Valve cover?

I just dont understand whats so difficult. Is it a 2wd? Are you using a jack on the trans at all?

yes I am using a jack on the trans and also tried one on the oil pan to help with alignment

yes, checked the alignment before and after my last attempt and the alignment tool fits just fine. the 3rd gen people talk about lifting the cab and cutting the radiator cross member is this necessary in a 2nd gen application?

no valve cover no #5&6 rockers or pushrods

I agree with this and no need to cut anything in the second gens. make sure the trans is lined up square. They tend to role to one side. I'm going to say the dirt is what is killing you! If all else fails remove both motor mounts and getter done!

I agree with this and no need to cut anything in the second gens. make sure the trans is lined up square. They tend to role to one side. I'm going to say the dirt is what is killing you! If all else fails remove both motor mounts and getter done!

I think thats what happened the tranny goes to the driver side when it gets jacked up ill have to do something to keep it in place. dirt is killing me I've vacuumed my engine 4 times now to get the dust out of it