tuner for daily driving

yup-A-billy

new guy
I have just purchased, a 04 LB7 and want to give it a little more kick. The truck is a daily driver and pulls a gooseneck during pull season. Im running EFILive in my 04.5 LLY but I think it would be to much plus im on a budget. any thoughts or ideas will be greatly helpful!:thankyou2:

If Money is an issue just send your ecm to idahorob or hobo and get a small Efi tow tune on it

You should have another license if you've only tuned the one truck. As far as being too much, you can do as little or as much as you want .

You should have another license if you've only tuned the one truck. As far as being too much, you can do as little or as much as you want .

I have the v2, but how do I find out the other license. do i call the tuner? that would be a lot easier

Connect your V2 to your computer, open up the V7.5 tune tool, once it's open go up to the help tab at the top and scroll down to the option for flashscan V2/autocal VIN licensing and click it, a new window will pop up, In the upper rigt of the window that pops up click on VIN licenses and look and see what you have used and what is available. If you want I have a nice mild 20% over tune that I use as my tow tune I could set up for you. It isn't a hot tune for a stock trans, but it wold be at the upper limit for a stock 5 speed towing heavy. And even if you need to buy another VIN license, the $125 for that is ALOT cheaper than even a used canned tuner.

thats a lot cheaper and the power/ reliability is more on your side. ive tried bully dog, PPE, and edge tuners on my LLY and the V2 is the best yet. but i heard that LB7 have had problems with injectors, would that be a turner issue or just luck of the draw on the parts?

someone posted the other day injectors on an LB7 are a "maintenance item"

someone posted the other day injectors on an LB7 are a "maintenance item"

ALL diesel injectors are a maintence item. Years back it was just common practice to pull out your injectors and have new nozzles put in every 75-100K miles. Of course that was when they cost $25-40 a piece to have rebuilt. Once they got expensive people quit doing it and expect them now to last the life of the vehicle. LLY's and even some LBZ's have injector problems, yet you don't hear much about it since they don't require so much teardown to get at. As for when they will fail, it is a crapshoot. Running higher injection pressures is one thing that has been shown to decrease there life, and poor filtration will kill them as well, other than that it's all a gamble when they will go. @ stroke and power service are the common additives to run through LB7's, but there is no proof that it helps them last any longer.

And if you want that 20% over tune I have, just shoot me a PM with your email address. I also have a few other tunes for a stock trans as well.

ALL diesel injectors are a maintence item. Years back it was just common practice to pull out your injectors and have new nozzles put in every 75-100K miles. Of course that was when they cost $25-40 a piece to have rebuilt. Once they got expensive people quit doing it and expect them now to last the life of the vehicle. LLY's and even some LBZ's have injector problems, yet you don't hear much about it since they don't require so much teardown to get at. As for when they will fail, it is a crapshoot. Running higher injection pressures is one thing that has been shown to decrease there life, and poor filtration will kill them as well, other than that it's all a gamble when they will go. @ stroke and power service are the common additives to run through LB7's, but there is no proof that it helps them last any longer.

And if you want that 20% over tune I have, just shoot me a PM with your email address. I also have a few other tunes for a stock trans as well.

Thanks for the help, and i can see why people would think that since you need a small loan to buy new ones.. i see by your signature you have an 01 how would one choose injectors since i have an LLY with 114k with factory and the LB7 with 86k and factory, and if my luck goes as usual they will go out together. Thanks for the tune offer i will let you know on that

The new style BOSCH injectors since mid year 08 seem to have a pretty good track record. It seems after GM's warranty period ran out and BOSCH had to start picking up the tab on some of these injector failures, they got redesigned and have been much better with many shops not reporting a failure of the new ones that came out in 08.

Are the BOSCH injectors a factory relacement or can you get them as a bigger bore nozzel?

I don't think that you can get a, "stock bosch" with anything but stock nozzles. Unless you bought your EFI live used from anther person, you for sure have a unused licence. I'd do a vin ck on one of the dmax forums and see if the injectors in your LB7 have been changed or not. As was said it is a bit of a crap shoot. My LB7 injectors were shot at 40K. I have a buddy with an 02 that has had the same injectors since he bought the truck new 150K ago and they are still working great. One thing I would do is install a fine a fuel filter as I could. I run a 2 micron inline filter right behind my 260 FASS lift pump and I change it often. My LBZ doesn't like that filter unless my lift pump is working however if it's been in the truck for more than about 2k miles.

OK i found out that i have another licence on the efi live so thats the route i went. as for the fuel filter i try and change it at each oil change and once in between. im shooting for fuel economy would the FASS increase or decrease that value? i figure it would drop it. were can you get the 2 micron filter ive never been asked that at the parts shops when picking them up.