Tuner Upgrade

Diesel Farmer

Farm Boy
Right now i have a banks plug and play 80 horse tuner i want to upgrade it what should i get that will be mild and not tear **** up but will give me all the power i need to show up the chevelle and nova my cousin has ???

You are correct, Pringles are from the devil (stacked chips). LOL

I used a Edge Juice with Attitude on my 02. The shift on the fly was nice and you get gauges. Stock, Milage, Tow, Drive, Race, Extreme...level 0 through 5. I normally left mine on two, or 2, for 40 hp 99% of the time. Truck made 450hp/972tq with this module on level 5 and supporting upgrades.

Stacked chips to avoid:

images

stacking.jpg

stacked-chips-thumb313092.jpg

I was just looking and the smarty catcher looks pretty good for my truck. Has anybody had any experience with them ?

^ hahaha. A lot of people I know run the Edge Comp Box or Smarty but I've heard good things about the TST.

I don't know much about the TS box, but on the Smarty, you have to stop your truck and reflash the ECM every time you want to change something. That don't work for me. When I want to race, I hit the button 3 times and hit the pedal, not stop and reprogram my ECM. I think the Smarty makes a little more power, but that is a huge trade off.

Would the edge comp box be on the fly ?

I'm not sure, never ran one. I think you'll like the Juice and display better than the comp. I would imagine your truck goes through what mine does...from highway to gooseneck to chain on a stuck tractor.....I'd probably go with the Juice with the newest version of the display. That is just my $.02.

I don't know much at the TS one thought. You might see how it works.

The smarty is something you don't change. You program it and forget it.
the tst has your adjustment on the fly.

The comp box is also a very powerful box.
TsMVP is also another variable to throw in that does quite well.

Comp box is on the fly but u would need to buy gauges seperate. The juice with attitude is a nice get it all bundle.

I'm not sure, never ran one. I think you'll like the Juice and display better than the comp. I would imagine your truck goes through what mine does...from highway to gooseneck to chain on a stuck tractor.....I'd probably go with the Juice with the newest version of the display. That is just my $.02.

I don't know much at the TS one thought. You might see how it works.

Thats exactly what mine does and the smarty the way they word it is you should chang it because if you were to put it on what they call 2 its dumping fuel with boost fooling you cant ride around like that all the time

If I ever go back to a 24v I will have a Edge juice with attitude. I've heard alot of good things with them.

i liked my tst/smarty stack. had some weird quirks though. just get a tst comp or edge comp. the smarty is a big expense for what it does.

I have an 02 with and edge juice with attitude stacked with a smarty s03. Never had a problem. Had the edge first and it was great for top end but i need more bottom end and the smarty really takes care of that nicely with alot more fuel.

If your not happy with what you have you probably won't like a smarty. You will probably want to go with something that taps the pump. For example edge juice with attitude, edge comp, quadzilla adrenaline, tst powermax, blue chips FMS or their Redline. Other tuners add fuel and or timing through can bus communication. Examples of these are the Smarty S-03, TS MVP, diablo, superchips, and Hypertech. There is no problem with stacking certain tuners. The key to stacking is turning the timing off on one of the tuners or stacking one that adds both fuel and timing with just a fuel only tuner. The result of stacking things improperly is much added timing.

Last edited:
I run the quadzilla and if you can ignore the surge/poping it causes it an awesome box....IF you have a good clutch.

I run the quadzilla and if you can ignore the surge/poping it causes it an awesome box....IF you have a good clutch.

What tunes are you running 1000 tunes or beta tunes? Mine surged a little with the factory 1000 tunes. I run the beta comp tune and have no surging or popping.