Turbo Done

Farmertom390

Well I think that my turbo is toasted. My truck sat for a good bit of time only being driven seldomly over the last 6 months or so. Now it is making a pretty high pitch whistle like the bearings are gone or its not getting any oil. It is also starting to blow a little white smoke while idling but still holds good boost. My truck has the stock intake with the SCT and 5" turbo back. I've returned it to stock, do you guys think it is worth taking to the dealer to have fixed under warranty? Is there any reason they would deny the warranty? I wont really be mad if they dont because I knew it when i put the tuner on but for a turbo with 58,000 miles on it I think its worth a shot.

I would get it fixed, personally. A tuner that is programmed right doesn't really change how turbo works or increases the pressure. So, it more than likely isn't the tuner that caused the failure.

My turbo grenaded at 51,000 miles. I think that it was because the previous owner really didn't drive the truck everyday. These Garretts seem to be hungry for regular use, or the vanes get rusty from condensation buildup.

I would get it fixed, personally. A tuner that is programmed right doesn't really change how turbo works or increases the pressure. So, it more than likely isn't the tuner that caused the failure.

a tuner that is programmed right will absolutely change how the turbo works and increases boost... as long as you've got electronic control over it. as with the VNT setup found on the 6.0's

I'd take it out, disassemble it and give it a good cleaning first...before I called it dead.
They will rust up and stick when they sit for a long time.

Yeah I wouldn't pay money for a new one without checking it out first. I am not home right now but when I head home next i'll take a vid for all to hear it. I thought it could be something just getting sticky because it still runs great, but just doesnt sound like anything healthy.

a tuner that is programmed right will absolutely change how the turbo works and increases boost... as long as you've got electronic control over it. as with the VNT setup found on the 6.0's

Most are getting the horsepower without raising boost. No point taking the compressor outside of its map and loosing efficiency.

Take it in. If your dealer is good them they should allot you warreenty work. Heck I had 12 injectors, couple egr coolers and oil coolers HPOP, trans, turbo, etc done from 80-99k all with a 4" straight exhaust and SCT/Edge juice w/ attitude stack. Never got denied warrenty.

how did you get the trans warrantied under the engine warranty between 80-99k when the trans warranty expires at 36k just like the rest of the truck??

how did you get the trans warrantied under the engine warranty between 80-99k when the trans warranty expires at 36k just like the rest of the truck??

Wasn't the factory warrenty. Got the extended bumper to bumper to 100k plus 200k engine warrenty.

Plus its not just the engine in ford... at least up until 2007. 100K was the whole powertrain, not just the engine....I think. My 03 had 100K and it was still able to get tranny work done.

Trans only goes to 36k, engine to 100k. At least that is what my dealer told me last time...

first post.. so hello everyone! :ylsuper:

little late on this thread but i just wanted to chime in..

im a diesel mechanic at a ford dealer in frederick, maryland..

we've warrentied hundreds of trucks with modifications, from turbos for trucks with just intake, exhaust, and programmer to headgaskets for trucks that already have arp studs in them. so i guess it all depends on what dealer you bring the truck to.

first post.. so hello everyone! :ylsuper:

little late on this thread but i just wanted to chime in..

im a diesel mechanic at a ford dealer in frederick, maryland..

we've warrentied hundreds of trucks with modifications, from turbos for trucks with just intake, exhaust, and programmer to headgaskets for trucks that already have arp studs in them. so i guess it all depends on what dealer you bring the truck to.

Sir,

You are in fact my hero if you do that. I have searched for a dealership in my area that will do warranty work on my truck and it isn't easy. Can you PM which dealership you work at?