Turbo drive pressure

farmboy3510

Where does everyone tap to find the drive pressure of their turbos? Is there anything special that I have to know before I do this?

Mine is right before the turbo in the manifold where you normally put the pyro. The only bad thing about doing it there is you only get 3 cylinders on a divded manifold, so ive desided to put a second port on the other side of the manifold and "T" them together to get a more accurate reading.

Whats is the best drive pressure? A 1 to 1 ratio? Thats what i was seeing before i trashed the motor at the global diesel days event. LOL!

On a Cummins, tapping the manifold just before the turbo is the best place. As Disturbed mentioned, you are only getting 3 of the cylinders. For most, that is fine. Unless there is a problem, both sides should be almost identical.

As far as what you want to see, it will vary by application. For Drag Racing application, we like to see 1 to 1, on the street up to 1.3 to 1 (drive being higher). Sled pullers generally like higher back pressure to drive the charger harder. So, it will vary.

On my 3.0 i see 10-15 psi higher on the exh normally but have see as high as 30 psi different depending on gear and sled

Basically your just running a boost guage with a copper line, right?

Yes, i run 2- 100psi blower gauges(intake and exh.) and steel braided line, but copper would work also i just had them laying around and really like to use JIC fittings so they wouldnt leak, didnt want them blowing apart and filling the cab full of smoke:hehe: also i run a blow off button that holds the pressure after i pull off the track so i can see want it does. Very nice to have so you dont have to try and watch the gauge going down the track

Jeremy, do you use a filter??

No,i dont run a filter. Ive had these gauges for 3 years and havnt had a problem with them messing up, "BUT" the blow off's are a different story. Those SOB's i have to take apart and clean about every 2 runs or they let the pressure off, only on the exh side though the intake works perfect all the time

what do you use for the blow off buttons to you buy the guages and strip them off or can they be bought separate

what do you use for the blow off buttons to you buy the guages and strip them off or can they be bought separate
Have to check tomowrow to see if i can find were i got them from
What do you mean by "blow-offs"?

They are just a oneway check valve that is plumed inline before the gauge that holds the boost pressure. There is a T that is between the gauge and the check valve that has a cooper line that goes to a button that i can release the pressure from the gauge so it goes back to zero

Have to check tomowrow to see if i can find were i got them from

They are just a oneway check valve that is plumed inline before the gauge that holds the boost pressure. There is a T that is between the gauge and the check valve that has a cooper line that goes to a button that i can release the pressure from the gauge so it goes back to zero

Interesting, would have never thought of that... poor man's recall guage :D

So if I bring a copper line off of the manifold and run it to the boost gauge in the dash in the cab it'll be fine? I have autometer boost gauges will they work or do they have to be something different?

So if I bring a copper line off of the manifold and run it to the boost gauge in the dash in the cab it'll be fine? I have autometer boost gauges will they work or do they have to be something different?

Thats what i did and the copper filled up with soot....

We plumb in a 4 to 6" section of 1/2" cooper tubing and fill it with steel wool for our filter.

With the filter in place how long in between cleaning it? All the time or every once in a while?