Turbo gate questions....

SLVRBullet

so im looking at swapping out my current turbo set up for a T4 66/73/14 non gated turbo. The truck is my daily driver & use no injectables, i tow but not heavy ( 5k & under ) Im looking at using a T4 manifold also but am a little confused about external gates vs. internal gates.

I have been told that BW has stopped making the larger performance turbos with internal gates due to guys over spinning them & basically destroying them. So i am being told that my only option is to go with a non gated turbo & if i wanted a gate that i need an external one.

When is it necessary to run a gate? ive been told that i dont need to worry about it unless im over 55 lbs. of boost or if i was running twins etc. but the turbo co. told me i should always run a gate. I know there seem sto be a trend now of guys running the non gated turbos & it seems they are not using an external gate.

So i guess im really confused about my options & what is actually required for a DD/tow vehicle.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

It is all relative, but a gate should be used to limit drive pressure and turbo speed.
Running a large exhaust housing will slow spool up but makes it tougher to over speed it.
At the opposite end, a smaller housing will spool quicker but is easy to over speed it, so a gate lets the heat out.
Problem is the balance of the housing/heat/gate size.

I've talked to guys who think they can and need to spin an HX35 to 60 psi boost!!!
They are heating the air very hot, and risking a blown head gasket/melted pistons/etc.

Drive pressure is the manifold pressure pre turbo and is refered to in a ratio.
It should never be higher than boost for street use.

For what you do with your truck, leave the stock turbo on it!
There is better ways to add power.

well the stock turbo has been off for some time now.

i will probably just leave the set up i have on the truck now for a while.

Im just trying to figure out the gated vs. non-gated set ups.