turbo issue??

CATmech945

I'm working on an 05 6.0 and the guy who owns is was telling me that from a dead stop.....when he tries to get moving it has no power, blows a bunch of black smoke and then seems to pick up and get moving. Once moving down the highway, he says it sounds like it surges while at a constant speed. Just wanted to throw this out there to see if I am on the right track thinking the turbo vains are stuck open causing the black smoke and lack of power down low due to a lack of boost and possibly the surging at cruise. If it is the vains...is it something that can be tackled and is there anything special I should know before opening it up, or does the turbo simply need to be replaced? I've done extensive work on these engines before but I've never had one of the turbos apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the link, that will definitely help. I'll check the EGR as well since I'll already be right there installing a delete kit. Thanks again, I'll post what I find.

I'd start by taking the turbo apart and cleaning it.

How often does the owner leave the truck idle? If he idles it for extended periods of time, the turbo can and will get sooted up and stick.

i have seen egrs cause this problem aslo. be best to get a scanner like a modis you can test the turbo to make sure the vanes are working right.

Well then to rule out the EGR cooler go park the truck with the nose slightly downhill. Then pull the egr valve. If the intake manifold is wet, replace or delete the egr system.

I think the EGR may be more the case. He says that he's losing coolant and is having me install a delete kit. I just figure I'll check the turbo also since I'll already have it on the bench. As far as idle time, I'm not sure. The guy is a boat capt. and a lot of them leave their truck running while they load things in and out so I'm assuming quite a bit. Thank you for all the help!

when my egr went it was white smoke.. not black.. when turbo crapped out it was black.. food for thought

I know that when the egr cooler fails, it produces white smoke...but i don't know what happens when the egr valve itself sticks. It would make sense to blow black smoke when the valve sticks closed because it's choking the motor of air which would mean a rich mixture to the cylinders causing the black smoke. He says he's losing coolant as well but no white smoke yet. I don't think it's head gaskets either because he doesn't tow nor does he have it programmed or chipped, which leads me to believe that the cooler failing and the valve sticking are somewhat related. Maybe the egr valve sticking caused the cooler to fail due to excess heat. What do you think?