Turbo oil leak, rebuild?

Tejas TJ

I picked up a used HX35 this week and pulled the compressor housing to polish it before it went in the truck. On doing so there was caked oil inside the compressor housing and on the turbine wheel.

There isn't signifigant shaft play, can a turbo leak oil from just sitting?

Do you think I should put the HY35 back in and rebuild the HX35 before I run it?

Sounds like it needs a rebuild. I pulled the compressor housing off of my HX35 last night and it had some slight residue in it, but not caked up like you mention. I'm going to rebuild mine so I can use it in a twins kit.

My problem is I can't get the damn exhaust housing OFF!

Here is a link to a rebuild.

Holset HX35 Rebuild with Pics! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

EDIT: The previous owner could have used a heavily oiled air filter....

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking, SuperDave. He said he ran a K&N air filter.

I finished the install and man this thing moves my boost gauge alot quicker than the HY35. at 65 it puts out 2 lbs of boost where the HY35 didn't put out any. I'll soon get a boost elbow and play with it but the HX is a big improvement personally over the HY just for EGT reasons.

I've got a rebuild kit on the way... I might wait a while because I've got these horrible Raptor fuel pump issues I've been chasing and I'm just at a loss for words now. Fuel pressure has been fluctuating all the way down to 0 and Friday night the truck left my wife on the side of the road with a burnt up pump. Luckely I had a replacement pump Pureflow sent me due to these inconsistent fuel pressure readings. It's still doing the same thing with the new pump.

That's what I'm thinking, SuperDave. He said he ran a K&N air filter.

I finished the install and man this thing moves my boost gauge alot quicker than the HY35. at 65 it puts out 2 lbs of boost where the HY35 didn't put out any. I'll soon get a boost elbow and play with it but the HX is a big improvement personally over the HY just for EGT reasons.

I've got a rebuild kit on the way... I might wait a while because I've got these horrible Raptor fuel pump issues I've been chasing and I'm just at a loss for words now. Fuel pressure has been fluctuating all the way down to 0 and Friday night the truck left my wife on the side of the road with a burnt up pump. Luckely I had a replacement pump Pureflow sent me due to these inconsistent fuel pressure readings. It's still doing the same thing with the new pump.

Clean your GROUND wire and clean/check ALL electrical connections. Check for knicks in the wiring harness too.

i believe its on the return line right on the injection pump. the "bolt" that holds the return line to the pump.

Seeing how his sig says 01.5 running an edge comp, Im sure he will not find and overflow valve.