Turbo RPM sensing. Discuss.

4x4dually

What options are out there for sensing the revolutions of a turbo?

If a display can take an input frequency of 2-10K hz, it might not be able to read that fast. What say all? Ideas?

Just thoughts.....:evil

Garrett has a awesome sensor for this, a little bit on the pricy side but well worth it

Sent from my smartass phone

So how does it mount and what is the output from it? 4-20ma, 0-5V, or freq? I'm not really looking for a gauge...just a pickup with an output that promotes me reading it with other devices.

It measures wheel speed at the tip of the comp blades.. Obviously a 7 blade would have less triggers than an 11 blade wheel.. (or more, depending on the wheel..)
Don't wire know how the gauge works... Optical maybe?

I'm jumping on this as well, I've got the vgt compounds with sensors in them. Be nice to use them with an alarm or over speed light.

5v sensor. Output is 1/8th the input frequency. Input frequency is one pulse per blade, per revolution.

Now what about the part that I can read/monitor. Possible to hook it up to a gauge or an LCD? Without spending obscene money at least.

They sell a decent gauge or you can use a data logger. Or both. I had sensors on both of my turbos on a twinset. Neat but not really used unless you are data logging track passes and really pushing the envelope on the chargers you are running. 99.9% of the people would be better off and gain more by spending the money on other improvements. Fine tuning a charger for a size restricted class I could see an advantage but other than that the $500 a setup is steep for little return other than the cool factor. Trying to watch the gauge is almost useless other than the max speed being stored. Data logging is a must for real insight.

Hence why a gauge of some sort would be cool. And the whole ridiculous cost aspect of a "kit" blows. I just want to read what is already there!

Last edited:
for max effort long term use, land speed racing, pulling etc, i definitely see the benefit.. ragged edge type stuff... plus it can help you see boost leaks or other issues you might have.. (more rpm for same psi etc)
It has its place for sure, but most guys cant swing at that just to check...

5v sensor. Output is 1/8th the input frequency. Input frequency is one pulse per blade, per revolution.

That is very usable right there. :D

I have a display with a freq input just beggin' for something to be hooked to it.

Last edited:
The RPM brand datalogger was setup with a sensor on my little truck. Also when I helped rebuild the Dr. P truck back in 06 or 07 the k31 that was put on there had one since it was being pushed as far as it could go. They ran an RPM datalogger as well.

Both were actually measuring the shaft in the center section rather than counting the compressor tips as they flew by.

I run a shaft speed sensor from Borg Warner in my EFR turbo. I used a box from Road Rage gauges that I spliced into a universal 0-5v EAS sensor so I can monitor it on my Edge Insight. After getting the voltage map I needed for the Road RGe conversion box I just entered that data into my Insight and can now watch turbo speed on my CTS. Interesting to watch for sure. You'd be amazed how much shaft speed actually changes, even at an idle with no change but oil temp increasing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I'm not so thrilled about cutting a flat spot into the shaft to use the rpm data logger sensor.

Headed to Tulsa on Saturday to meet with my display guy. We are going to work on crackin' the OBDII code and reading all the params just like the H&S does but on my display. Turbo RPM is apparently available on the OBDII port so I'm going to try to hack it and display it. This should be interesting. I hope to get it done this weekend and have it done by SDX next week. Turbo RPM is within block 0x4A. ;)

Back