turbo side intercooler blowout!

barry1me

blew out the cool inlet side intercooler pipe yesterday towing the jeep. was using a decent tune and making some boost when I heard a loud blow out and no power. I duct taped it with some gorrilla tape to get it home. Its working ok for right now. Who makes some good intercooler piping to replace this OE crap? I called the stealership today and they want $240 for a new pipe, that seems outrageous to me.

the carnage
Volant088.jpg

Duct tape use # 107. This gets me by for the time being, but I dont want to tow anymore till I get this fixed.

Volant089.jpg

I'd call some salvage yards and look for a stock metal pipe....that plastic was a stupid idea to begin with.

I don't think I have one like this on my 03? Was this something done after 03? I have two boots and a single pipe.

Mooring Product said:
I don't think I have one like this on my 03? Was this something done after 03? I have two boots and a single pipe.

IM curious why they changed to the nylon one piece pipe too.

Its like 180 for the metal pipe. Not sure if it comes with the boots or not. If you bring it in to the dealer they might replace it for free with the metal one. I think it is a TSB. Ryan

Blk350on20s said:
Its like 180 for the metal pipe. Not sure if it comes with the boots or not. If you bring it in to the dealer they might replace it for free with the metal one. I think it is a TSB. Ryan

I would take it to the stealership Im just afraid there going to give me a hard time with all the mods on my truck, not to mention if I uninstall my EDGE A2, and my XCAL, I still have my up pipe welded shut so I will most likely through a code.

barry1me said:
I would take it to the stealership Im just afraid there going to give me a hard time with all the mods on my truck, not to mention if I uninstall my EDGE A2, and my XCAL, I still have my up pipe welded shut so I will most likely through a code.

I would be reluctant to do that as well. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I might have an extra one in the attic, metal and all, but you are gonna have to wait till my mongaloid toe heals to get my big ass up there. LOL I know I have some boots. You might try to take the boot up in another vehicle and just tell them you can't drive it that way to get it in, but you need it replaced under warranty. I have done that a time or two with the stupid filter minders.

I thought the plastic was changed to the metal as part of a TSB. The dealer changed mine and I didn't even have a problem with the plastic one.

Barry, Take it to the ford truck cent at the 96-275 interchange. Get off at levan and head back over the expressway. It will be there on your right. Just bring the pipe in. They should replace it for free with the metal one. Ryan

ccv mod won't prevent the tube blowing out through the side like the pic shows, only helps prevent the boots from slipping off

Blk350on20s said:
Barry, Take it to the ford truck cent at the 96-275 interchange. Get off at levan and head back over the expressway. It will be there on your right. Just bring the pipe in. They should replace it for free with the metal one. Ryan

even if Im outside of the 36K warranty? Thanks for the info I may head up there.

I would assume so. Its a TSB. Tell you what, Im headin home thursday night or friday morning. Im getting my metal one from Rob and I have a spare tube for my nitrous. Ill let you borrow that one and Ill bring in the pipe. I know a mechanic that works there. he should be able to hook me up. Ryan

Blk350on20s said:
I would assume so. Its a TSB. Tell you what, Im headin home thursday night or friday morning. Im getting my metal one from Rob and I have a spare tube for my nitrous. Ill let you borrow that one and Ill bring in the pipe. I know a mechanic that works there. he should be able to hook me up. Ryan

Sounds good Ryan, only thing is Im leaving tommorow at about 2PM from Toledo to leave to go to Nashville for a softball tournament. If you want you can give me a call at 734.216.4347 .

Thanks

Barry