Turbo silencing ring

Foster

Ethel
I still have my stock turbo and i took the silencing ring out, im sure u've all seen one before, its there to direct the air straight into the turbine. if its out the air can come around the edge of the turbine and makes my turbo whistle louder, but does it effect my power??

I THINCK IT WILL HELP YOUR EGT'S I SEE LOTS OF GUYS THAT DO IS THAY MAY KNOW MORE.
IF YOU BUY A TURBO THAY DO NOT IT SO THAY ARE TAKEING OUT IT FOR SUMTHING:st:

No it doesn't affect power what so ever. Dodge put them in the turbos to quite them down, they don't really serve any purpose other than noise control.

One thing I did notice after I took mine out on my '01 was it made barking the turbo a lot harder to do which is good. Before I removed it, it would bark almost every time I let off the throttle.....now I have to actually TRY to make it do it.

they are there for noise reduction, but they prevent the MWE slot from being able to reduce surge as effectively.

I always take them out at this altitude just to reduce the surge.Especially on a manual.But I have never noticed a performance difference it is simply that just a noise reduction device.

If pulling the ring truly reduces surge, then pulling the ring will also slightly lower the performance of the turbo.

If you read on Garrett's website, it talks in depth about MWE=Map Width Enhancement groove and how it bleeds off some of the incoming airflow. According to Garrett, the added map width more than makes up for the minimal loss in performance.

Not that you will be able to feel the difference, but if it notably reduces surge, it does affect performance ever so slightly.

$0.02

I've got to agree with Forrest. It doesn't help/hurt performance in any noticeable way, but I do like my turbo all in one piece.

One of the many reasons I fabbed/rigged up a third gen turbo was the ability to maintain a silencer ring and have an enjoyable highway cruise note. Last time I took out my silencer ring, I made it 2 miles before the wife said, "What did you do to that turbo?" It is too loud.

One of the many reasons I fabbed/rigged up a third gen turbo was the ability to maintain a silencer ring and have an enjoyable highway cruise note. Last time I took out my silencer ring, I made it 2 miles before the wife said, "What did you do to that turbo?" It is too loud.

And thats where I would have matted it and just smiled:evil got to love that sound