turbo surge

smokeisfun

still learnin
first, what causes it, and how hard is it on the turbo

i think mine is doing it, because, if im really juicing on it from a stop, and if i lock the t/c to soon, at too low of an rpm, it "barks barks barks" and falls on its face, but then it will start over and take off again

Full cuts, 6x0.018", with a 66/71mm. Think about what you are saying, if you are lugging the engine it barks and falls off. Doesn't that sound like you are drowning out the fire?

hey....i didnt say i didnt like it, i just dont want to hurt my charger, i dont race with it any ways, im goin to start pulling this year hopefully
but thanks

Thats not surge... surge will occur under boost(my PSD used do it, at 1800-2000rpm, on the hwy, tip into it, once lit, you had to accelerate PAST the suge point, or gentle roll through it... the boost needle would go from 15-25psi, and back so fast you could barely read it...sounds like an air powered machine gun...

So it occurs AFTER the turbo is lit?

If that is the case, try to avoid it... some say it wont harm anything(I dont believe that), and alot say it can hurt the compressor wheel, or the shaft....

There is a whole thing somewhere, what surge is, how to stay out of it.. etc... you would need to look at a compressor map, and figure out whats occurring, and why....

Chase

66/71 is prone to surge. get a higher stall converter or a better turbo for your set up

Chipped Powerstrokes surge all the time..

My bro runs 22* with stock head gasket, bolts, etc with 180k and 52psi boost. So I would think you would be fine at 25*, or more.