Turbo Won't light

Limited

Slow N' Quiet
96 12v put into a 99'. Its has a S366/74/.91, 7x.012, 21*, 190 pump with all AFC mods and no plate, 4K GSK, stock DV's, mack rack plug, AD150, Godspeed 44MM external gate, studs/o-rings. Fresh auto full billet. Can't get over 10 pounds boost. No leaks. No tach yet and few other gauges. Seems like it runs out of RPM around 2,500 but thats a guess. How can I get a tach for less than a fortune and what else can I do? Runs hot and ignorant black smoke. Starts kinda hard like maybe too much timing?

Maybe you're dumping too much fuel and smothering it? I would double check timing. You sure that waste gate isn't stuck open or something?

How is your gate set up? Does it have any boost/drive pressure lines ran to it? Sounds like it's running off a 10psi spring and opening too early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96 12v put into a 99'...... How can I get a tach for less than a fortune.......?

If you still have the '99 wiring harness and ECM you can do what I did and use the factory gauges. Use 24V sensors, oil pressure, coolant temp, and a crank sensor on a tone wheel that bolts to the damper. I got a 36-1 tone wheel from Destroked and modified their sensor mount to accept the factory crank sensor.

Other than that I'm sure Dakota Digital could hook you up with a "universal" tach.

So this is how the wastegate is ran. I flipped around the discharge pipe from the gate and put my hand over it with a buddy trying to spool it in 4 hi and the gate was not opening. Is this even right? I can't find anything on how this gate is supposed to be set up.

I'm pretty rusty with p pumps. I slid the afc housing all the way back, it was full forward, no change. Is there anything else I can do to turn the fuel down? Starwheel but I was thinking that wouldn't help?

Airdog only set at 25 psi (24v setting), but never goes down so I'm assuming that's not an issue. We'll see when it does light.

Torque converter? Its a local triple disc no idea the stall speed. You can go out and stay on it to 70 mph and never spools so I don't think that's it.

Friend says pull the injectors and test pop off's but I don't see that being it. Thoughts? Would rather not have to buy a smaller set.

Attachments

• Wastegate.jpg
    Wastegate.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
On that little boost elbow in your pic, what happens when you turn it all the way IN?

Man I'd take that gate plate out, it sure sounds like the gate is dumping way to much. Unless your planning on spraying the hell out of it you don't need it anyway.

Those Chinese gates have a removeable seat, if your seat wasn't installed, the wastegate will continuously dump/gate exhaust around the turbo, I'll bet that's your problem.

Close off the waste gate line with a pair of vice grips and see if it changes anything...if it does the gate is your issue

On that little boost elbow in your pic, what happens when you turn it all the way IN?

Just curious but why would you want to restrict the air going to the top of the gate keeping it closed?

Close off the waste gate line with a pair of vice grips and see if it changes anything...if it does the gate is your issue

This brought back a memory. ....

Did the above to a silver 66 on a 6.7 about 7 years ago before s400s were even mentioned and pop went the head gasket.

Just curious but why would you want to restrict the air going to the top of the gate keeping it closed?

Attempting to make the engine build more pressure.

On a few of the turbos I've used in an s300 config, some were laggy, and restricting the air going to the wastegate helped bring back spoolup by making the wastegate open later (making engine build more pressure).

Attempting to make the engine build more pressure.

On a few of the turbos I've used in an s300 config, some were laggy, and restricting the air going to the wastegate helped bring back spoolup by making the wastegate open later (making engine build more pressure).

A canister style or external gate? Restricting air to the top of the external would make it open sooner from the drive pressure pushing on it and not letting the boost help keep it shut. The way his is plumbed in the picture is holding the gate closed. If it was on the lower port it would be assisting in opening.

Any chance that gate plate is non divided? That would essentially turn your manifold into a non divided like some guys were having problems with.

Like mentioned above I'd ditch the gate assembly.

A canister style or external gate? Restricting air to the top of the external would make it open sooner from the drive pressure pushing on it and not letting the boost help keep it shut. The way his is plumbed in the picture is holding the gate closed. If it was on the lower port it would be assisting in opening.

Canister, the style bolted on the side of the 300s, is what I was referring to..

This brought back a memory. ....

Did the above to a silver 66 on a 6.7 about 7 years ago before s400s were even mentioned and pop went the head gasket.

What were you doing when it went .... normally you can block these off, run the RPM up to about 2000 and see if the turbo starts to light...I used to do it all the time when I was pulling work stock and couldn't afford big turbos lol