Turbos on 7.3s

So the truck decided to "solve" the laggy turbo problem itself. :doh: See attached.

No more questioning of "cross" bolts for this guy.

Attachments

• Bent Turbo Shaft.jpg
    Bent Turbo Shaft.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Downpipe2.jpg
    Downpipe2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Downpipe3.jpg
    Downpipe3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 30
  • TurbineWheelanpcs2.jpg
    TurbineWheelanpcs2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Downpipe6.jpg
    Downpipe6.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Downpipe5.jpg
    Downpipe5.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 31
BIGRPOWR said:
alright i will join you luke in my experiences.

garrett bb w/ swamps 175's worked really well unloaded and only got it to surge once, pulling my wakeboard boat up through a pass, but pulled hard all the time and made 381 rwhp.

added stage 3 hybrids and it pulled like a freight train made about 450 rwhp.

went to aurora 5000- laggy as hell but when it lit with the stage 3's pulled VERY hard. didnt keep it long enough to tow cuz it overspun, bent the shaft and it only stayed on about a month. but egt's werent bad.

went to TN 66mm ceramic bb unit and worked great with hybrid stage 3's. egt's stayed very low.

added b-codes w/o pumps and found out very quickly it was not enough turbo. egt's sky rocketed.

went to TN super 72mm and added pumps and it worked AWESOME.egt's were relatively good.back prssure at WOT was 48back-40 boost. but for giggles i went up to the 76mm compressor and added some lag, but keeps street manners somewhat in check in the stock setting. egts's with 76 are about 750 cruising in medium setting on the highway. but lit this thing pulls much harder but is borderline undriveable in city traffic and entering freeway's and slow accel uphill. back pressure was 55 and boost was 47. now with ported heads not sure but boost dropped about 5lbs.
mike how were the street manners on the 72, in terms of lag etc.?

Buck1 said:
So the truck decided to "solve" the laggy turbo problem itself. :doh: See attached.

No more questioning of "cross" bolts for this guy.

Dang man That sucks.

darkshadow- with a mild set of b codes it will do really well. i have pretty large nozzles so it just wasnt enough for what im trying to do. but i pay the price to an extent with lag on the streets. but after jody live tuned it the tow/dd file is awesome and a lot less smoke and lag. it may have been from tuning the pumps better i dont know. i feel the 72 is the ultimate street driving turbo with the right fuel.

i felt my 70 spooled like a stocker, then my TC gave out and the 2400 rpm stall went in, the charger is very slow to spool now.

Got a Hybrid HX50/H2E to throw on the truck to make her go again. Hope to get on and make it to Bean's but time tickin away and the pile of tractors outside is shrinking too fast.

going to go to a big charger and need a big stall to light the charger.