Turbo's

Cummins Driver

THE Cummins Driver
I heard my turbo on shutdown tonight, and it is starting to sound like my wh1c did when it died. The compressor was rubbing the compressor housing and eating away at the wheel. I havent inspected it yet to see for sure if that is the case, but i may go ahead with an aftermarket turbo if this one dies.

I guess id be deciding between a 62mm S300 or a 57mm(i believe) S300g.

I do haul fairly heavy with my truck every now and then, but id also like to have some fun pulling it one of these days and i like to drag race some too.

Probably my only additions for fueling for a good while will be my New Era 370's and a rack plug. Basically i need it to be a reliable daily driver that tows good, and makes some reasonable power. Im guessing 400-450hp range.

Will the S300G keep my EGT's much cooler than my stock turbo? I know they are great for towing, but i would like a decent EGT reduction out of it. I can peg my 1500* gauge by about 50mph from a boost launch. I would like to be able to keep it down around 1300* with my current fueling since im still with stock injectors. Will the S300G do it, or will I need a 62? I know usually bigger is better, but I really hate to lose much driveability and make it to where im glued to the pyro when i haul stuff.

So, what are y'alls reccomendations on a turbo for the fueling I will end up with(NE370's, 0 plate, 4k GSK, 191 DV's). Im hoping my stocker lasts a good while longer, but it didnt sound the best tonight, so we'll see. An auto with a tight converter likes to bark em:doh:

Thanks for any help

Eric

Eric I don't think a 62 will keep you cool enough for your farm hauilng you do. Call the guys @ HTT and talk to them about their 64 series turbo's. I have their original "Killer B2" 64/14WG'd version on my truck, and you've seen how well it runs. The only complaint I have about my turbo is that it surge's while towing, but HTT figured this out a couple of years ago and upgraded the exhaust wheel's from the 66 that's in mine to either a 71 or 73 depending upon application.

IMPO you can't go wrong with HTT for a daily driven, towing, and pulling turbo Eric. People say its hard to get the best of all, but they have a pretty good handle on it!

Thanks for the input mark. Really, a 64mm charger is what i would like to have. That way i would be at the max for a 2.5 class, but Im afraid it would be too hot EGT wise hauling stuff. I know it would run good for drag racing and pulling. I thought i may go with something a little smaller for the time being and then later go with a 64mm turbo. Have you hauled much with your truck to see how EGT's are Mark?

Anyone else haul with a 64mm charger, and have an opinion on it?

Even a 64/65mm charger would be too large for 400-450hp.

What is your opinion Weston? I may get with you about getting me a turbo if you can. I know you PM'd me a price a while back on an S300G. Should I go with the 57 or 62? You may have a PM from me before long if my turbo does go south.

Daniel, I dont think i want to run water. I dont really want all the lines, pump, and plumbing, and having to keep the tank full. Plus, id be afraid of it on a stock head gasket. It is a good way to keep EGT's down, but its just not for me I dont think.

Eric

From everything I can find, a 62/65/14 is as big as id want to go on my truck. Will an S300G support 450hp and be pretty towable?

I have read, key note read, that the 62/65/12's are great for quick spool and 500HP on a non cam'd non ported 12valve. Obviously the 24 valve guys are pushing a few more ponies out of the S300 based 62's.

My vote goes for the 62/65/14. Probably wouldnt be a whole lot laggier than your stock one with the 16cm housing. Sure it will be a touch laggier but should be just fine. Or you could just try my PhatShaft71:evil

My vote goes for the 62/65/14. Probably wouldnt be a whole lot laggier than your stock one with the 16cm housing. Sure it will be a touch laggier but should be just fine. Or you could just try my PhatShaft71:evil

I think I could spool it by 3rd gear....maybe:hehe:

Go for the 14 housing if you dont mind using a few more rpms to tow with. I always thought straight water was fine a on a headgasket, it was the methanol that killed them from ther advanced timing.

With the 64's they clip the turbine to prevent surge so with the smaller compressor of a 62 not only do you get quickness in the low end, but the unclipped turbine would provide more turning power than on the 64/14.

i know yer 12 and im 24 but i went nuts researchin all this. i do alotta towing cattle ,hay,toyhauler,tractor...some heavy. 28000 gross. i went with a super b cuz of the lag issues and egt's. havent installed it yet but i use my truck the same as yers. it really boils down to a 62/72/13 ss or a super b but i though the 62 would be too laggy and didnt wanna bunch o smoke all the time.:charger: i always wanted to use that little guy there

i know yer 12 and im 24 but i went nuts researchin all this. i do alotta towing cattle ,hay,toyhauler,tractor...some heavy. 28000 gross. i went with a super b cuz of the lag issues and egt's. havent installed it yet but i use my truck the same as yers. it really boils down to a 62/72/13 ss or a super b but i though the 62 would be too laggy and didnt wanna bunch o smoke all the time.:charger: i always wanted to use that little guy there

If you are putting it on soon, let me know what you think of it.:thankyou2:

I also sent Willy91 a PM.

Thanks guys

Eric

Back